Thread: Stand Recommendations for CMT340SEs: Anyone using something besides TP24?

Default Stand Recommendations for CMT340SEs: Anyone using something besides TP24?

Hi,

I just took the plunge and have an Ascend order on the way: three CMT340SEs for LCR and 2 HTM200s for surrounds. Unfortunately the TP24 stands are on backorder and will probably won't be available until the end (or after) of my eval. period.

I will need some stands pronto to be able to setup and evaluate within my window, either in the interim or most likely as a permanent option. I'm also trying to lock in some other positioning for items in the room (wall mounting my tv etc) and want to have a physical fit with the real items. before I commit to drilling and cutting holes.

I could rig up something quick and dirty but I really don't want that factoring into my eval (building something that is stable, ascoustically friendly etc).

Is anyone using alternative 24 inch stands with the CMT340SEs that they use and can recommend?

Default Re: Stand Recommendations for CMT340SEs: Anyone using something besides TP24?

http://www.vtimanufacturing.com/VSP%20Series.htm

These are on Amazon, and other on line dealers. Not fancy, but work fine.

B

Default Re: Stand Recommendations for CMT340SEs: Anyone using something besides TP24?

Thanks,

I had stumbled across this very set the other day; thanks for the validation on their applicability.

Do you have the speakers further secured on the stands with anything like Blu tack or something else?

I use blue tack. 4 pieces per speaker. They adhere stronger as time passes.

Use dried plasterers sand in them. No moisture.

I am using Ascend Towers now.

B.

If you intend to get the TP-24 stands when they are back in stock and only need a temporary stand, you could have Home Depot or Lowes cut up some 2x4's as uprights. Use 1x12 fascia board lumber cut into squares for the bases(I believe you can buy a 4' or 6' board) and just cut some wide base molding(sold per linear foot) long enough to cover the depth of the speaker. Screw the 2x4 uprights into the bases and the top molding pcs. onto the top of the uprights with course thread drywall screws. Voila!

I would use (2) 2x4's screwed together for the upright of each stand.

If you decide to use Ascend's 30-day return option you are only out the minimal cost of these temp stands.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 01-08-2013 at 12:41 PM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Since time was a also a factor, I wound up going with the VTI VSP stands. They seem solid and acceptable. For easier filling/removing, I loaded sand into zip lock bags, rolled the bags into cylinders and dropped them into the cavities to fill. That worked pretty well and should be easy to remove/replace, and even though I used dried sand it should provide extra resistance to any kind of moisture.

The stands provide a bit more of an 'open' look as well, and so far have passed the visual acceptance test.

I haven't blutacked the 340s on them yet (as I just received the 340s last night and will need to work final placement/positioning). The speakers sit nice and stable on the VSP24 stands, and blu tack should prevent them from sliding/falling if bumped.