Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2-Channel Receiver

Default 2-Channel Receiver

I'm looking for a $200-500 small profile, 2-channel receiver to use with my 170s in my office. My nicer system is in the family room, and I'm not looking for anything super nice--just something that has at least a couple digital inputs and about 50 watts output. The most important thing I'm looking for is a small footprint--something similar to the Emotiva Mini-X a-100 Amp, but which also includes the receiver portion.

I'd love any suggestions...
    Last edited by jcookson; 01-03-2013 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Updated price to spend.

Default Re: 2-Channel Receiver

Do you mean the pre-amp portion or do you need a full receiver?

NAD has some smaller footprint integrateds, but I'm not sure if they include digital inputs.

I'm looking for a small footprint, complete receiver. Not just the pre/pro. I mentioned the Emotiva because that's the size of a receiver I'd like to find.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into the NAD.

Looks like the TEAC A-H01 is promising: optical and coax digital inputs and what looks like a pretty decent DAC. Price is $370 on Amazon which is a little more than I wanted to spend, but it looks like it's what I'm looking for.

http://www.teac.com/product/a-h01/overview/

Anyone have experience with this receiver, or others like it (~9 inch square footprint)?

Looks like it's only 22w per channel into 8ohm. They're attempting to bamboozle you.

I think that might be a bit strong. The product point for the TEAC is in a bedroom or office, where you're likely not looking for 100 (or more) watts/channel (into an 8 ohm load). The footprint of the TEAC is 8"x8"--a pretty astonishing size for a DAC/amp combination. If you were to move up to a 50 watts/channel amp like the Emotiva mini-X a-100 then the footprint moves up to at least 8.5"x15" (assuming you can also find a preprocessor/DAC with a small footprint). I love Emotiva, don't get me wrong, but I'm looking for something that fits on my office desk, not takes it over.

The few reviews I've seen for the TEAC A-H01 seem to suggest that power was not an issue (one reviewer suggested it stood up well to his Meridian 551--a considerably more expensive amp rated at 55 watts/channel into 8 ohms). And remember the CBM-170's are very sensitive and efficient speakers.

I do appreciate the comment, and I'm not sold on the TEAC (I'm still looking for other options), but I think your statement about being bamboozled might be a bit strong.

It may well be quite nice. I just had to chuckle a bit when I read the detailed specs. According to them my hk 990 would be 300 watts per channel. EVERYONE advertises the watts into 8ohm. Nice try teac LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    EVERYONE advertises the watts into 8ohm.
    I'll agree with you here.

Marketing at it's finest.

I have found the sierras are still hungry even on my AVR-635. I have just ordered an Emotiva xpa-5 and will post up how much of a difference the extra wattage makes.
    Get 642-437 demos for test king and passguide with 100% success wikipedia Our high quality examsheets itil University of Cambridge you well before appearing in the final exams of selftestengine HP

This might be another option.....

http://www.audiogurus.com/yamaha-crx...FUNp7Aod4A4Arg
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables