Thread: CBM-170 SE for mains, HTM-200 SE C?

Default CBM-170 SE for mains, HTM-200 SE C?

I was considering 2 CBM-170 for the mains and 1 HTM-200 for the center. My thinking was that the HTM-200 SE would be a better choice since the center channel will be placed inside the credenza and it's not ported. Also that they have 4" woofers which (may or may not?) lend itself to a better mid-range for dialog.

After reading past posts dating back a few years, it seems the way to go is 3 CBM-170 SE across the front. I'll experiment with plugging the port on the rear center channel with some open cell foam (a-la Q-plugs). Thanks.
    Last edited by Jaws; 12-22-2012 at 08:47 AM.

Default Re: CBM-170 SE for mains, HTM-200 SE C?

did you make a decision? You could order both and then return one or use it as a surround.

Hi Jaws,

Using a 170 for the center channel (with 170s mains) would be the optimal setup and provide a seamless front sound stage. However, the 200 is no slouch and will perform quite well. The timbre match will be very close.

I would suggest a call or e-mail to Ascend about plugging the port. Creating an aperiodic enclosure might work, but it may not be recommended for the 170s.

Question: are you going to run the 170s full range or apply a crossover? If the latter, you may not need plugs, especially if we're talking an 80 Hz crossover. Alternately, you could apply a crossover to the center channel only (if your processor/AVR supports separate crossovers for each channel). Definitely experiment and see what you prefer.
    -Jacob

Hi guys,

There's a great thread here with a post from Dave F. which states the problem I'll be facing, i.e. placing a center channel speaker below and in an enclosed space. Seems the 340c was built for the 170's.

Excerpts from Dave's post:

... If you are after the most seamless and timbre matched multi-channel soundstage possible --- and (I must stress this) you won't be placing your center channel on top of or below a TV and you do not require the lower profile typical of a center channel... ideally, 5 of the exact same speakers are the best way to go, provided they are all mounted and positioned at the same height and with the exact same method (all on stands for example)...
    and

... As most of you know, the center channel is the most critical speaker in the home theater system and our 340 offers improved dynamics, lower distortion, deeper bass and the ability to play really loud if need be. Factors that I feel are just as important as a seamless soundstage...

Wow, center channel is the most critical speaker in the home theater system, didn't know that. I've been out of the loop in audio far too long. But retired now and on a budget, I'll have to make do with what I can afford. For the time being that will be 2 channel stereo with a Denon 1613. Hopefully 75w/c-8ohms is enough to future proof a setup.

I'd love to be able to listen to my jazz, rock, and classical vinyl, sitting around since the 70's-80's. A TT/pre is in my plans so a pair of 170's will be perfect. The HT experience will have to wait, maybe for a 340c sales and b-stock. Would have loved for the 200c to be the go-to speaker for the 170's since they're priced right for me and there is b-stock available.

Thanks guys.

After a couple of weeks getting to know and breakin my pair of CMB-170's I'm blown away with their clarity. Whether I'm sitting 12 feet away listening to music or pulling up an easy chair 6 feet away watching a Blru-ray, the transparent quality of sound is what stands out most with these speakers.

I paired the 170's up with a Hsu stf-2 subwoofer. Nice tight bass from this unit; no muddyness or boominess to the bass at all. I have a rather large, very difficult room environment with a vaulted ceiling and lots of hard wall space and amazingly, these three speakers deliver the goods.

I should probably mention here that one of my biggest pet peeves is have to turn the volume up during quiet portion of a movie just to hear what they're saying and turning it back down when the explosions start. This speaker set solved that annoyance.

Pairing up Ascend with Hsu exceeded my expectation and bang for the buck. If you're hesitant to drop big bucks on a system, this is the route to go. I highly recommend the CMB-170 SE if you want a clear, transparent sound.

The Denon 1613 receiver rounds out the sound system. It has the features I want and none that I don't. Can't see spending a ton of money on something that will bring the least rewards with a bunch of stuff I'll never use. Even Audessey is not a must have, IMO, and I'm not using it right now. Perhaps more to come on that front when I fill out for the HT setup.

Finally, I'll be taking Dark Ranger's advice and save up for another 170 for the center and 200's for the surrounds.

Oh, and a Ferrari Red Music Hall MMF 2.2LE is in the distant future to spin my vinyl.

I'll try to update as time allows.

Ed