Thread: Noob Question: Ryhtmik F12 or F12G or F15

Default Noob Question: Ryhtmik F12 or F12G or F15

My listening area is about 3300 cubic feet. I have mains that extend nicely down to nearly 40 Hz. I am exclusively two channel and have no constraints on size or placement and intend to purchase two subs.

All the subs mentioned are within my budget, but I am wondering if any one of them shines especially bright for two channel use?

Would the 12" be better? Tighter? Faster? Is paper or aluminum best?

Thanks so much for the help,
    Chip

Default Re: Noob Question: Ryhtmik F12 or F12G or F15

The difference between the 12 and 15 aluminum is minimal at most..it is about output capability. The paper cone is said to sound a tad tighter/faster, but not go as low or have the same output as the aluminum 12.

In a 3300 cubic foot room, I would go with the 15".
    -curtis

If I may breathe a bit of life back in mr thread, any further opinions?

Hi Chip,

As curtis mentioned, there will be minimal difference between the F12, F12G, and F15 regarding sound quality. Before I bought my Rythmik, I did research on these differences and as far as I can tell, the main differences are these:

- The paper cone can have a tiny bit more resolution and detail at lower volumes due to lower mass cone (the cone can move faster).

- The aluminum cone can have less cone break up at high volumes because it's stiffer.

The differences here are very minor. As far as overall sound quality goes, the Direct Servo technology helps all Rythmik's subwoofers sound nearly identical. Where the sub models differ is in output. The larger drivers/enclosures deliver more output than the smaller drivers/enclosures.

If you were getting only one subwoofer, I would agree with curtis hand's down for the F15. In fact, I went this route back in October 2011 when I bought my Rythmik. I had space for only one subwoofer, so I went with the F15 for a little more output capability.

However, since you mentioned getting two, then output becomes less of an issue. Two F12s or F12Gs will fill that room nicely. If you tend to listen loudly, I'd go for the aluminum F12. If you prefer lower volumes and still want maximum resolution, then the F12Gs might be a better choice.

That said, if you can afford dual F15s, then that would be my recommendation if bass output is very important to you.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Dark Ranger; 12-28-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    -Jacob