Thread: Help: 170 + cheap sub vs. 340

Default Help: 170 + cheap sub vs. 340

I'm a noob seeking some help -

I live overseas, where taxes are high and shipping is slow and expansive (no returns), and no one in my country has responded to my thread of local current customer demo request, the best i can do is get answers from esteemed forum members!

And so, I've married an architect. My dear beloved wife is not a fan of electronics, and is not wild about me buying big speakers. No good deed goes unpunished...

We have a large living room - 16X16ft, 8.2 ceiling. One side of the living room is all glass. the other is open to our dining room (one big space). The speakers will be placed 8 ft apart, on top of a credenza (at listening hieght). We have a sonos 120 amp which we love very much and wish to keep. We use the system for music only (of all types and genres).

I am considering a setup of either a pair of 170s plus a cheap sub, or a pair of 340s. My wife prefers 170s because of their size.

What would you do (divorce is not an option and neither is moving to a new house)? Which (cheap) sub do you recommend?

Any input will be appreciated!

Yadin

Default Re: Help: 170 + cheap sub vs. 340

what is your actual budget for a sub?
    -curtis

around 300

The Hsu STF-1 should fit the bill.
    -curtis

How about a little bit of delayed gratification, and save up for a pair of Sierra-1s? Then maybe, there will be no need for a sub until upgraditis takes place.

exactly what i ended up doing!