Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Amplifier suggestion for Sierra Tower RAAL tweeter

Default Re: Amplifier suggestion for Sierra Tower RAAL tweeter

I think you made a good call, Rob.

The 4311 is an excellent AVR with a more robust amplifier topology/design than the majority of other receivers. For those coming from lesser AVRs, there can be a noticeable difference moving to an amp. For those with top-end AVRs, the difference is minimal, if any. If you don't need the extra headroom, your Denon will treat the Ascends with the finesse and control they deserve.

Happy listening.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I think you made a good call, Rob.

The 4311 is an excellent AVR with a more robust amplifier topology/design than the majority of other receivers. For those coming from lesser AVRs, there can be a noticeable difference moving to an amp. For those with top-end AVRs, the difference is minimal, if any. If you don't need the extra headroom, your Denon will treat the Ascends with the finesse and control they deserve.

Happy listening.
    Jacob, Thanks, I'm definitely at peace with this decision, or should I say non-decision. My initial research indicated a good Amplifier would be pretty pricey. I can now plan for utilizing my funds for other purposes to improve my system. My HT system is 9 months old and I would like to continue to invest in the system with an upgrade(s) this year. My focus will be on the surrounds to start.

I realize this is an old thread but thought I would ask my question here rather than start a new thread.

I am purchasing a 9.1 speaker system from Ascend. It will consist of Tower fronts with Horizon center--all with RAAL ribbons. The side, rear and front wide surrounds will be 170SEs. I will also have the Rythmic 12 sub.

The room is yet to be completed but will be 18X15X10 feet in a more or less dedicated room...media/HT and occasional entertainment room.

My listening/viewing style will be 60-70% music and 30-40% HT. Thus the reason for the RAALs.

I will bu using an Integra 80.3 pre/pro but have not yet decided on an amp.

My choices are so far:
    Integra DTA-701 amp 150 watts/channel (two channels driven) THX Ultra2 certified.
    Emotiva XPA-5...two of them for 10 channels....9 of which will be used.
    Outlaw 7700 200 watt/channel amp...7 channels Plus two M2000 monoblocks at 200 watts/ channel.

I would rather do the Integra amp for space and weight reasons but am concerned I will not have enough headroom. I don't listen to stuff above reference...my ears would not take it with my tinnitis.

I know the other amps will be more than enough but the cost, space and weight are considerations as I have only room for one audio rack.

Suggestions?

Hi SteveR,

In my honest opinion, any of those you listed will be more than adequate for reference levels with headroom to spare. How far away do you sit from the front speakers?

If you want to stay with Integra and match your pre/pro, the DTA-70.1 is THX Ultra2 certified so we know it's capable. Based on some quick research, it's also the least powerful amp there and the power supply section has a lot of work to do (9 channels). The good news is that your speakers are fairly efficient which eases the load on the amp. For real-world usage at or below reference levels, I don't think you'll have any problem with the Integra running out of gas.

The Emotiva and Outlaw amps are both rated with all channels driven. Technically, these amps are more powerful than the Integra and I'm talking about more than just watts here. Your proposed arrangement also uses two or three amplifiers total compared to the one Integra. With multiple amps, you can distribute the load as needed instead of loading only one amp. With either the Emotiva or Outlaw amps, I seriously doubt you'll ever need more power based on your listening preferences and room size.

If you want to streamline your system, one amp makes the most sense. Both Outlaw and Emotiva offer a 30-day trial period, so you can send back the amp(s) if you're not satisfied. I'm not sure about Integra as I've never tried or owned one of their products.

I don't believe more powerful amplifiers are necessary based on your listening preferences and room size.
    -Jacob

Jacob,
    Thanks for the reply.

The room set will have me about 11-12 back from the front speakers.

I am unsure of the testing conditions for the THX certification so I don't know if it really means it will drive all 9 speakers at reference without chocking. I would rather go with the 70.1 Integra just from a simplicity standpoint but fear it does not have the guts to really handle the dynamics of home theater.

Still, it is cheaper than the three Outlaw amps (my first choice for a powerful system) but this option is less hassle than the Emotiva amps due to their size and weight. I have one Mid Atlantic rack to hold a bunch of stuff for the HT and the whole house audio and video system. So space is a consideration as is cooling. The rack is to house the following:
    Oppo 103 player
    Control 4 controller
    Control 4 audio amps for 9 zones (2 amps)
    Control 4 router for the whole house
    Integra 80.3 Pre/pro
    HT amplifier(s)
    Possible Pioneer Laserdisk player (I know...old school but very cool and will upscale fairly well).
    Cooling fans

All this will stuff the rack so smaller but powerful would be better.
    ....still weighing my options