Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amplifier suggestion for Sierra Tower RAAL tweeter

Default Amplifier suggestion for Sierra Tower RAAL tweeter

Hi,
    I just ordered a pair of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter to upgrade from my Sierra-1 NrT tweeter speakers. I have not received the Sierra Towers yet, but I hope that I've made a right choice (spending so much saliva to convince my beautiful wife since it is a quite expensive item). Anyway, I plan to use these towers as L & R speakers and Sierra-1 NrT tweeter as center. I am looking for suggestion of an amplifier to bring out the best of these towers. My listening habit is 50% music (jaz, soft rock...) and 50% movie (action and some comedy).

My system:
    Receiver: Anthem MRX500
    Amplifier: Adcom GFA-7500
    BluRay player: Oppo 93
    L&R Speaker: Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter
    Center: Sierra-1 NrT bookshelf
    Surround: Emotiva ERD-1 speakers
    Subwoofer: Rythmik 12 in Signature Edition Servo

Question: do I get additional benefits if I upgrade my amplifier? I am thinking of Anthem MCA50 or McIntosch MC7205?

Thank you very much in advance.

Default Re: Amplifier suggestion for Sierra Tower RAAL tweeter

Hi hnguyen,

You've got a nice system there. In all honesty, the Adcom is more than sufficient to drive your Towers and sound excellent while doing so. My suggestion would be to wait until you hear the Towers on the Adcom, and then make the decision.

If you've just got a bad case of upgrade-itis (it's incurable ), then I can understand that. In that case, I'd probably give the nod to the Anthem.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by hnguyen View Post
    Hi,
    I just ordered a pair of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter to upgrade from my Sierra-1 NrT tweeter speakers. I have not received the Sierra Towers yet, but I hope that I've made a right choice (spending so much saliva to convince my beautiful wife since it is a quite expensive item). Anyway, I plan to use these towers as L & R speakers and Sierra-1 NrT tweeter as center. I am looking for suggestion of an amplifier to bring out the best of these towers. My listening habit is 50% music (jaz, soft rock...) and 50% movie (action and some comedy).

My system:
    Receiver: Anthem MRX500
    Amplifier: Adcom GFA-7500
    BluRay player: Oppo 93
    L&R Speaker: Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeter
    Center: Sierra-1 NrT bookshelf
    Surround: Emotiva ERD-1 speakers
    Subwoofer: Rythmik 12 in Signature Edition Servo

Question: do I get additional benefits if I upgrade my amplifier? I am thinking of Anthem MCA50 or McIntosch MC7205?

Thank you very much in advance.
    If your happy how your NrT 1's sounded why look to change? The towers I belive are more efficient so your current set up should more than suffice...IMO.

Dark Ranger, thank for for your advice.

Billy p, yes, I like my Sierra-1 NrT very much. However, I know there is room for improvement. Everyone in this forum is vow for Tower, so I placed an order for it. Hopefully, it will bring my audio system up a knot or two. Yes, I like and am happy with my Sierra-1 that is why I am a returned customer.

Quote Originally Posted by hnguyen View Post
    Billy p, yes, I like my Sierra-1 NrT very much. However, I know there is room for improvement. Everyone in this forum is vow for Tower, so I placed an order for it. Hopefully, it will bring my audio system up a knot or two. Yes, I like and am happy with my Sierra-1 that is why I am a returned customer.
    I see how my post may have being misinterpreted sorry about that..... The change I was referring to was in replacing your pre/pro setup...I wasn't questioning your speaker decision.

I know the Towers...will bring you the change your looking for....I recently upgraded from the NrT 1's myself.

Btw how do you like Anthems RC (ARC) with your Sierra 1's...I currently have a Yamaha avr but I'm considering the move to the MRX 300 or a XT32 unit like a Denon 43xx...but we can all agree the best way to improve ones sound is to move towards better speakers...and the Towers IMO are just that....

Re: Bill

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I see how my post may have being misinterpreted sorry about that..... The change I was referring to was in replacing your pre/pro setup...I wasn't questioning your speaker decision.

I know the Towers...will bring you the change your looking for....I recently upgraded from the NrT 1's myself.

Btw how do you like Anthems RC (ARC) with your Sierra 1's...I currently have a Yamaha avr but I'm considering the move to the MRX 300 or a XT32 unit like a Denon 43xx...but we can all agree the best way to improve ones sound is to move towards better speakers...and the Towers IMO are just that....

Billy,
    I have Denon 4311, came from Pioneer SC-25 for my old pair of B&W Matrix 803 Series II and it was a worthwhile upgrade. I know there are ppl who hate EQ for 2-channel but I will admit integrating sub into my 2-ch setup would have not been easier. I have my pair of Sierra Towers with RAAL should be arriving in week or two so I can provide more feedback then.
    Last edited by avsnoob10; 12-02-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post
    Billy,
    I have Denon 4311, came from Pioneer SC-25 for my old pair of B&W Matrix 803 Series II and it was a worthwhile upgrade. I know there are ppl who hates EQ for 2-channel but I will admit integrating sub into my 2-ch setup would have not been easier. I have my pair of Sierra Towers with RAAL should be arriving in week or two so I can provide more feedback then.
    I seldom use 2.0 direct for music....I always apply some RC and 2.1 mode. So...yeah... sharing your thoughts on this matter would be appreicated...

Thanks...Bill

I will be buying the RAAL towers in a couple of months along with the RAAL Horizion center. I am starting over will all my electronics as we are currently selling our home and the new buyer wants all the current home theater equipment so I will be starting at ground zero with everything.

I have read here and at AVS until my eyes have bled and I am still not sure if I want to just go with a high level AVR or with separates. I can't find a real test evaluation to justify separates but emotionally they just seem to make more sense...separate amp in a separate box with its own unique power supply instead of all stuffed in the same box.

My budget is around $3000 for either option and my room is 15X18X10 feet so around 2700 ft cubed....moderate sized dedicated Media/HT room.
    Last edited by SteveR; 12-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post

Hi Bill,
    I don't have a room design for home theater and don't have any special room treatment. Therefore, I prefer to use some form of room correction software provided by a receiver to overcome some of the room problems.
    I have Denon 2809 with Audyssey MultiEQ XT before moving to Anthem MRX 500 with Anthem Room Correction. I prefer Anthem RC over Audyssey EQ XT. It makes Sierra-1 NrT sound clearer and has better image. I have not use Audyssey XT32, but I heard that it is pretty good.

I am getting the towers with RAAL ribbon too. I currently have an AVR in my system - Onkyo TX-SR705. While I think it would be enough to power these speakers, and eventually the Horizon center, plus surrounds, and a powered subwoofer, I am still leaning towards getting a new AVR....looking into the Denon 4520....thoughts and comments please.