Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: To RAAL or not to RAAL..that is the question.

Default Re: To RAAL or not to RAAL..that is the question.

I received my black piano RAAL towers just before Christmas! Originally with my order Dina told me they were backed up and I would not receive them until after Christmas. But a nice surprise arrived just days before!

I have them hooked up to the Adcom 5802 and have been amazed at the sound I'm getting at low levels. The bass is better than I expected. I'm not a big fan of separate sub-woofers so I'm happy to leave it behind for now. (I was using CBM170s and an HSU sub). I'm using these for music listening.

I've got a house full of holiday guests so I have not been able to do any detailed listening nor crank it. With the Christmas tree up I also cannot play with room positioning. But so far they sound awesome.

And they look amazing, the black piano finish is beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by dorz11 View Post
    I've got a house full of holiday guests so I have not been able to do any detailed listening nor crank it. With the Christmas tree up I also cannot play with room positioning. But so far they sound awesome.
    I'm curious, how are you going to position them later. Seems like there is very little space to move them forward away from the wall.

Once the Christmas tree is gone everything slides over. I'll have plenty of room to pull them out, spread them, angle, etc.

Nice house. Congrats on the speakers. Give them a little time before you decide how you feel about them. I think breaking them in for a week or 2 makes a difference as well as your brain adjusting to the sound signature. You hear everything that's there for better or worse. I'm learning to appreciate good recordings even more with all of the layers I couldn't make out before but some crappily recorded stuff is just ugly. I have to say these speakers can rock. The enjoythemusic.com review is actually pretty spot on and I feel pretty much like the reviewer does. My last towers couldn't really do rock because they were just a tweeter and two 8" woofers. Metal or anything like it sounded wrong. These towers seem to be really balanced. The bass is there WHEN IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THERE. No more and no less. Combined with the raal it's almost like they were made for rock but electronic is just as amazing. I'll get to some other genres eventually. I did play some high quality mariah carey off youtube to see how female vocals sound and it's pretty incredible. Not even my kind of music but I can't ignore how amazing her voice is. Anybody got any more ideas for music to try out that you're into? I'll let you know how it comes out.

Finally first day to sit a listen. Mostly a blues day (no metal shredders yet!). With good recordings the towers are clear, accurate and pristine. I can pick everything out with pretty amazing clarity. Really enjoying them, excited even!

Here are suggestions, all are go to CDs for me except Gary Clark Jr. That one is brand new but I think it will work it's way into the go to list (WOW!). I listened to these in this order today:

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman - Shady Grove
    Gary Clark Jr. - Blk and Blu
    Medeski, Martin and Wood - Combustion
    The Word
    Eric Clapton - Me and Mr. Johnson
    Kenny Wayne Shepherd - 10 Days Out

Speaking of clarity I just had a moment of panic when I thought I heard a crackle but it was just the sound of the singers lips peeling apart that you can usually only hear when it's your own lips and only because the sound transfers through own head. I had to go back a few seconds in the song a couple times and confirm it wasn't my speaker popping. Still getting used to having spidey senses with these speakers. Speaking of spidey I just watched the amazing spider man blu ray at high volume which had pretty good sound. Sierra towers with RAAL confirmed for being good with movies.

Wow I feel like an idiot. I had the phase all wrong on my sub. I finally tweaked it with test tones and the towers sound twice as good as I thought. I was amazed by the separation and clarity but was having some doubts about whether they were TOO accurate and showing me the ugly truth about recordings. I guess having the phase set wrong was cancelling out lots of bass and messing up the sound. I had no idea it could make that much difference. They're as clear and agile as I knew before but now also silky, deep, and lush like I was really wanting. I'm sorry for doubting you Mr. Fabrikant. Good job. These speakers are pretty much perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    Wow I feel like an idiot. I had the phase all wrong on my sub. I finally tweaked it with test tones and the towers sound twice as good as I thought. I was amazed by the separation and clarity but was having some doubts about whether they were TOO accurate and showing me the ugly truth about recordings. I guess having the phase set wrong was cancelling out lots of bass and messing up the sound. I had no idea it could make that much difference. They're as clear and agile as I knew before but now also silky, deep, and lush like I was really wanting. I'm sorry for doubting you Mr. Fabrikant. Good job. These speakers are pretty much perfect.
    This is wonderful news -- Yep, if your subwoofers are out-of-phase with the speakers, you are going to get a lot of cancellation and performance of the speakers (and sub) will suffer greatly. Enjoy!!!!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com