Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: To RAAL or not to RAAL..that is the question.

Default To RAAL or not to RAAL..that is the question.

It might already be too late and I probably won't change my mind, but is there any reason to go with basic sierra towers over the RAAL tweeter version aside from price? I ran into some random posts about the nrt being better if you watch movies a lot. I do both but music is the priority. I already ordered the RAAL towers this morning but they haven't made them yet. Should I prefer the nrt or stay with the ribbon? I don't care about the money but I need the speakers to be good for both uses. Hopefully Davef will chime in? Hopefully somebody will tell me the RAAL is superior in every conceivable way so I can sleep better at night.
    Last edited by Brannigan; 11-26-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Default Re: To RAAL or not to RAAL..that is the question.

Step 1: Read this.

Step 2: Relax and exhale a long breath.

My suggestion: keep the RAAL upgrade. It is exceptional, especially if you care about music. The bit about the NrT being better for HT wasn't a sweeping statement. Some prefer the sharper attack and extra energy from the NrT, especially in HT.

For what it's worth, I have the RAAL in my Horizon. No regrets. It is absolutely the best tweeter I've ever heard for both music and movies. If I had space for the Sierra Towers, I'd get the RAAL in those, too.
    -Jacob

-curtis

I feel better. Thanks guys. I probably won't sleep any better though. Now I'm too excited.

I have been having the same decision making to do. I listen to HT more than music about 95/5, so I was at one point considering the NRT cones instead of RAAL in the towers....but the more I thought about it, I thought well I will always wonder what could have been IF I only got the RAAL....I don't think it would be worth that kind of nagging...so it will be RAAL for me unless someone can give me a very good reason to stick with the NRT cones.....by the way, I am planning on the new Horizon at some point too which I will definately get the RAAL ribbon for the superior dialogue qualities of it. Starting to get excited about this purchase though I have not pulled the trigger yet....they better not sell out of that piano black either at the discount price

I'll let you know how they are with movies as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brannigan View Post
    I'll let you know how they are with movies as soon as possible.
    Thanks, and by the way, I just ordered the piano black towers with the RAAL .

sourbeef,

Congrats!! I'm a big fan of the piano black myself. You're gonna have sonic nirvana.

Brannigan,

I think you'll be quite surprised with how the RAALs handle movies, especially with low volume stuff. I occasionally watch movies at low volumes to avoid disturbing anyone at late hours. The ribbon tweeter (combined with the dedicated mid-range) is fantastic and I no longer have to strain to hear the dialog. It's very articulate and well-balanced. And when the going gets loud, the RAAL can keep up.
    -Jacob

That's good to know. I wasn't sure if the raal would peter out at high volume compared to the other drivers. No idea why I would think that it would, I just have no idea what ribbons are like.
    Last edited by Brannigan; 11-27-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sourbeef View Post
    Thanks, and by the way, I just ordered the piano black towers with the RAAL .
    NOICE! We can exchange opinions very soon if all goes well. I'm not currently capable of imagining better sound than I'm getting from my sierra 1 and rythmik sub so if the ribbon towers blow this setup out of the water they must be out of this world. I have no clue what to expect but I'm psyched! Something that I know I've always wanted was to be able to crank music without it sounding peak-ey but still being detailed. If the ribbon is that smooth then it sounds like I'm headed in the right direction.