Thread: Distance from wall?

Default Distance from wall?

How far do the 340s need to be from the wall? I've seen recommendations all over the place. Even the manual says 1-2 feet, but that wall mounting is okay if you can get 3 inches of clearance. I think I should be able to get between 9-10 inches -- close to the depth of the enclosure -- I'm thinking that should be enough???

Default Re: Distance from wall?

I think that'll be fine. My Sierra's have been between 10-14 inches from the wall and I haven't noticed much difference. From what I've read having speakers a couple of feet or more from the wall may give them a more spacious, 3-dimensional presentation. Having them closer to the wall will emphasize certain bass frequencies. Having the speakers crossed over should help too.

Thanks! Does it matter if the rear port is inside a cabinet? Does it matter if there are walls surrounding the back? Or is that just an issue with the front? The rear port would be pointing into a tv cutout and would have a wall on one side of it. That wouldn't cause weird reflection issues, would it?

Are you using a subwoofer?

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Are you using a subwoofer?
    Eventually, but not right away. I would love to have the option to listen to 2.0 channel music though. I'm not sure I want to cross the mains over at 80 -- I at least want to experiment with it.