Thread: 340c as horizontal l/r speaker in bookshelf?

Hi Andy,

Using the CMT-340c horizontally as a left/right is a great solution. I have actually done this in my bedroom as the wife wants the speakers on top of a bookcase.

>>1. Would the fact that it is packed into the bookshelf be a problem for the rear-ported design? I've heard that as long as there is room behind the speaker equal to about twice the port diameter. Others say as long as it is not exactly flush with the wall, it's OK. My bookcases are 12" and the speaker is 10.5" deep with grill, so I could by sticking the speaer out some manage say 2-3" of room behind. Is that enough?

If you can set the speaker so that it is overhanging the bookshelf by 2" (recommended for many reasons, not just the rear porting), you will be fine and the speakers will sound great. This should give you about 3 1/2" clearance behind the speaker, which is adequate for proper operation.

>>2. Would the EXBAC circuitry designed to compensate for the thing being on a TV also help with the fact that it's in a bookcase?

Yes!!! absolutely. Our EX)tended BA)ffle C)ompensation will help minimize many of the negative acoustic effects your bookshelf will introduce.

>>3. Are there other features of its center channel design that work against it being a good l/r (horizontal) speaker?

Nope... Everything we design here is music first, even if it is a center channel.

One question, how high (vertically) will the speakers be located?

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the reply. This is also a good way to see if I want to get a few more for my main HT/stereo!!

THe speaker will be about 4-5' high -- about ear height for seated listeners, I guess. I could change shelves if necessary.

Hi Andy,

4 to 5 feet high for a horizontally mounted 340c is perfect. No need to adjust your shelving at all. The 340c has exceptionally wide vertical dispersion.

Take care!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I have been trying to find the best solution for my 5.1 setup and read this thread. My room is kinda big, and I want a full sound. David recommended the 4 - 170s and 1 - 340. I think I would like to go with the 340s all the way across the front. Either way, I think am going to have to put all 3 speakers on top of an entertainment center that is 6'4" tall and 10' wide. The listening position is about 14 feet from the entertainment center. I have a few questions to ask about this.

Because the speaker would be set as 6'4", would I need to angle the speakers slightly downward, to to listening position? Would using 3 - 340 Cs (all laid horizontally) add any additional complications at this height? Because the the entertainment center is only 10' Will the short distance between the speakers compared the the 14' to listening position be a problem?

Thanks,
    Demo

In the Ascend owners manual they suggest using a factor of .73 for determining speaker separation. .73 multiplied times your 14' listening distance comes to 10.22 feet. Getting as close to this as possible would be optimal. Before I read all the directions (of course) I spent a few hours tuning speaker placement before I settled on a final separation distance. When I fully read the directions I noticed the .73 factor so I went and measured to see how close I came. As it turned out I was within an inch so there must be something to it. As in most placement situations compromises are a fact and I'd bet you'd be satisfied if you can run your speakers out as far as possible in your center.

Randy