Thread: help me ready my space for new Sierra-1s

Default help me ready my space for new Sierra-1s

I've been talking to Brian (great customer service and I'm not even a customer yet!) about a 3.1 Ascend/Rythmik system for my living room. Brian steered me mostly in the right direction, but I still need some help and really wanted to talk to other Ascend owners.

I'm (mostly) set on Sierra-1s w/ NrT upgrade across the front and a Rythmik F12. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger is placement (see links and description below). I'm about 50/50 music and tv/movies and I typically listen well below reference levels. I kept going back and forth between CMT-340SEs across the front, however, most reviews seem to suggest Sierra-1s if you're a critical music listener (which I would consider myself to be) and not just part of the HT crowd. Not to say that 340s don't sound good for music or that Sierra-1s can't handle HT use -- this just seems to be the general thought. I want a system that can do it all, but if I have to choose, I care most about music.

Anyway, here's the only thing holding me back. I'm afraid to drop this kind of cash on a system and not have a room that will allow it to sound its best. Without some creative ideas from you all, I'm most likely looking at wall mounts. I know the rear ported speaker needs room to breathe. I also understand I can purchase Q-Plugs, but I just don't know.

Here is a link to a photo of my space and a link to my floor plan. It's hard to tell from the floor plan alone, but the tv niche is located on the east wall in the great room. The great room opens to the kitchen and the entire second floor. The ceiling in the great room is at an angle, but measures about 16.5 feet in the center

Here are a few of my ideas, but I'm open to any creative solutions that would allow me to get the maximum performance from my speakers.

1) Wall mount L/R speakers. Build a shelf to raise the tv. Put the center speaker under the shelf. Cons: the L/R channels are too close to the wall.

2) Build a shelf to raise the tv. Put the center speaker under the shelf. Put the L/R speakers in the tv niche (they actually fit next to the tv -- the photo is from a model home and my tv is smaller). Cons: possible reflection issues.

3) Build a shelf to raise the tv. Put the center speaker under the shelf. Put the L/R speakers on stands in front of the niche with the rear ports shooting into the tv niche. Cons: speakers are kind of close together.

4) Drywall over the entire tv niche. Get an entertainment center. Cons: drastic measures for speaker placement.

I'm honestly stumped here -- what do you guys think? Thanks in advance and sorry for the ridiculously long first post!

Default Re: help me ready my space for new Sierra-1s

I would definitely recommend the Sierra-1's for you. The detail and accuracy (and looks) will make them a great choice for music and movies.
    The best sound would probably result from placing all three out into the room on stands. (8-12 inches maybe?) IMO the tv could still sit in the recess. You may want the left and right speakers a little wider than your opening.
    Whatever setup you go with, I'd recommend the q-plugs and using an 80hrz crossover.
    Maybe you could make up some cardboard mockups to see if you deal with them being out into the room like that.
    I also think you could get good sound from putting the three speakers inside of the recess. You'll want to keep the fronts of the speakers flush, or protruding a bit, with the wall. The center could be placed above the tv.
    An additional idea would be to put about 4" of sound deadening material covered in fabric on the back wall of the recess. That would help tame excess sound reverberation.
    Last edited by natetg57; 11-13-2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The best sound would probably result from placing all three out into the room on stands. (8-12 inches maybe?) IMO the tv could still sit in the recess. You may want the left and right speakers a little wider than your opening. Whatever setup you go with, I'd recommend the q-plugs and using an 80hrz crossover.
    Thanks for the post! I agree with you. I know the best sound will result from placing the speakers in the middle of the room on stands, but that's just not possible... unless I can convince the wife to do something like this:

That with a low profile entertainment center would allow me to get the speakers about 10 inches away from the wall without having stands out in the middle of the room.

If I could get the speakers 10" away from the wall, would you still recommend Q-Plugs and that high of a crossover?

Also, does the Rythmik F12 hit as low as the FV12? Is it just that the FV12 can do it at a louder volume? I know the F12 will sound great for music, but can it handle HT duties in my room? I don't listen at reference, but I love big bass in movies. Does my room size require a 15" speaker or will the 12" suffice?

And I would love more setup ideas!

If you can convince her, 2 12" subs may be best similar to the pic. Can disable one if needed, or place either or both elsewhere, and simply can get greater bass from both than the single larger sub
    Last edited by choirbass; 11-13-2012 at 11:22 PM.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Two subs would be sweet... but probably not a reality for this room.

update bump

I think I convinced my wife to let me purchase a custom stretched canvas to hang over the tv hole and buy this tv stand to put in front of it (similar to the pic I posted above):

With the stand, here's how/where the speakers would sit:

- L/R just under 6 feet apart
    - L/R/C 10 inches from wall
    - L/R tweeter height is around 4 inches below ear level
    - C fits under the shelf, but with only 3/4 of an inch height clearance
    - shelf sits back just under 4 inches from the front of the unit, so I shouldn't have any reflection issues

What do you think?

A few additional questions:

- with 10 inches of clearance from the wall, do I still need Q-Plugs? Or is it enough just to set a crossover in my AVR (thinking in terms of distance to wall and integrating with a sub)?
    - will my 100 watts/channel Onkyo AVR do these speakers justice?

Thanks!

I would still recommend ordering the Q-Plugs. They will also help you make a smooth transition to your sub. It's worth trying to see how it sounds in your room. I have my speakers about 14 inches away from the wall and I'm using Q-plug-A. I checked with REW (room measurement software) and below 80hrz was reduced with using the plugs therefore giving me smoother overall response.

I think the Onkyo will be fine. Any improvements will be subtle with a new receiver. The speakers make a much bigger difference in sound quality IMO.

Thanks! The Q-Plugs are cheap enough that I might as well just order them with the speakers.