Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TV stand for sierra horizon?

Default Re: TV stand for sierra horizon?

Hmm. I have a small media room, 13ft W x 14.5ft. Sitting 10.5ft away from cabinet center shelf. Primarily for HT, with a sub. Most opinions seem to be to get the towers, they are much better. I was leaning that direction and was thinking to just suck it up and pay for Towers, with a compact Horizon because I would not be happy with any less. But the costs of purchasing the 3 front seem to be just to much for me.

So now you got me thinking that maybe I could be happy with 3 sierra-1 NrT's across the front (center horizontal), since you really did like them in comparison. I was thinking also if towers are much better for HT use, to save $ just do a 4.1 setup with two towers and no center at all. Stereo does fill the center when one is seated on the triangle apex, which I always do as couch is parallel to the media cabinet.

I believe you have a Standout cabinet? I've got their "Horizon Plus" model which has a 25 3/4 wide center speaker opening. Sierra-1 Center could not go on top, it would block my 63" Plasma which is standing on cabinet top. From another post I saw that you had your Sierra inside the shelf and was not happy? Using the plug, possibly, I should also cut 2 or 3 three inch holes in the cabinet back to improve the situation? Any opinion?
    TV: LG 77OLEDC9 A/V Receiver: Anthem MRX 740
    Sources: Pana DP-UB9000, Zidoo Z9X, Google CCwGTV, ROON
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22
    Media Room (1,500 sq ft, 13ft Wx14.5ft Lx8ft H)

We have a Furnitech stand like..

http://www.theaterseatstore.com/furn...ategory=511901

I am using the center shelf for my Dish DVR without the grill.

How high are your ceilings? How loud do you like?

The Sierra-1 speakers are very good. Most people would consider them to be high end. I really liked the stock dome tweeter. You can always order some to try out, and upgrade to Towers within 30 days. . Order the Q Plugs, And devote some time to speaker placement.

I would put the center on top of the cabinet if possible.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    Obviously, this has addition placement benefits compared to the towers, but how do they sound in comparison and if there is a difference, what do you attribute it to?
    These sound just like the Sierra Towers only in a different form factor. These cabinets actually have the same internal volume as the towers, same crossover, same drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    WOW!!

Dave, you just made me sick. Now I'll be useless the rest of the day. That looks amazing.

EDIT: My wallet suddenly felt a lot lighter.
    Thanks! I have been considering doing a large quantity run of these cabinets, which would bring the price down to the same as the towers. As it stands now, the price is $1598 each. I am just not sure if there is a large enough market for such a big standmount LCR, aside from a few orders here and there. I am concerned that we would not be able to recoup our expenses on these and we need to be careful these days as we have a lot invested in the forthcoming Sierra-2 and I am growing more concerned about the economy
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

David,

I may be getting confused with your models, as your website needs a drastic re-write. (Towers or Horizon not listed on the "All Speakers" page, and when you click on the Sierra Tower dropdown, still no listing of the matching Horizon center speaker, which is difficult to find on the site. Only see it hidden on an order page, but it's dimensions and specs I still can't find! I could see shoppers coming to your website to look at your towers, but leaving to shop elsewhere after not seeing a matching center.

Isn't this new "compact Horizon" speaker an ideal match as a center channel with the Towers for those who do not want the much larger Horizon center? I would think you would get more orders for the Towers + Compact, than the Towers + big Horizon. That Horizon is huge. I think many more people are putting HT systems in average to small L/Rooms than larger spaces, and this smaller center also would fit into most cabinets, and even if placed on cabinet top this would be more readily accepted by spouses than the larger speaker placed on top. Having this smaller matching center would probably also get you more tower orders, since some shoppers would not leave for another co's product line, if they can't work with the large Horizon. I wonder if other mfg's sell more of their large center vs their moderate sized center model.
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22

Glenn,

There is a thread dedicated to the Sierra Horizon here. It has 24 pages (at the moment) of questions, pictures, and product info about the standard model and some of the custom variants.

There are many of us here with the Horizons, so if you have questions not addressed in that thread, ask away!
    -Jacob

Thank-you for that info.

the omni stands are too small for my tv !!!

Can you post a picture of your auditioning room dave?

Ok i found a stand............................However the center speaker would only be 3-4 inches from the ground.

http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/cirrus...l#.UKf6dGdB840

Would have to remove center channel shelf and place speaker on the bottom shelf.

Workable or should i really try and make center channel be closer to tower heights?

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    Ok i found a stand............................However the center speaker would only be 3-4 inches from the ground.

http://www.bdiusa.com/theater/cirrus...l#.UKf6dGdB840

Would have to remove center channel shelf and place speaker on the bottom shelf.

Workable or should i really try and make center channel be closer to tower heights?
    With the center channel being so low, will there be anything like a coffee table in front of it?
    -curtis

It is so easy to mount your monitor on the wall. We managed it in about an hour and used a plastic cover, painted to match, over the wires. Crutchfield's web site has a tool for all the measurements, depending on the mount, and monitor.

The Center channel will sound so much better on the cabinet. . A couple of days ago, I used a couple of sorbothane pads to raise the front of our custom Horizon center speaker.about 3/4". I was surprised at the improvement. The Mid Range coupling with our Towers is spot on. I am now listening to music with the three front speakers set large, and no sub, using Yamaha's "seven channel" stereo setting. What a sound stage! I always felt that the cabinet between the speakers affected the imaging. ( We have a 3.1 set up)

B.