Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different surround speakers with Ascends???

Are the Infinitys at a local store? You could purchase the 170's w/30 day trial, take them to the store where the infinity speakers are and try to hook them up there to compare. From my own experience with infinity (granted, many, many years ago) they seem to have a "HOT" top end....JMHO! Ascend is rumored to be developing a dedicated surround speaker, but no real info from them on it yet. I know of a person using Paradigm Ref. series(Studio models)with Axiom bookshelves for surround duty. They reportedly match up well. From what I've read, the Paradigms and Ascends have similar sound. I would put the Ascend sound #1 and build around that, but that's just my experienced opinion.

Ed

Do you know for sure you like di/bi poles sound? They were developed in the Pro Logic day when the reciever was creating the surround sound and the indirect sound helped create the illosion. Today's sound tracks are recorded in 5.1 by the sound engineer. The indirect nature of those speakers is no longer needed. Many do like the indirect soound. So, it really is a matter of personal preference.

I have Paradigm Atoms(in white) as surrounds due to WAF compromise.

It sure would be nice if Ascend offered a surround speaker. At least everything would match sonically. The only place I've been able to locate the Infinity speakers was on-line (One Call, etc.) and none of them have a return policy (at least without charging a minimum 15% restocking fee). Maybe using CBM-170's in the rear is the right way to go. I'm also shopping for a new receiver and the HK's look good on Ascend's website but I've read many complaints on the AVS forum about dropped digital signals and audio losses when switching digital sources. I haven't read anything on this forum about it so I need to find a local dealer and listen to one for myself. If the audio drop out does not exist, I will purchase one on the Ascend website when buying their speakers. So many decisions - so little time and money.

Bill

The dropped digital signal issue is WAY overblown IMO. First....how often do you switch signals during a show? Second, it just doesn't happen out of the blue.

As for surrounds....Ascend does offer "surrounds", the issue is what you define as a surround. If it is a multipole design, then no, Ascend does not have one. But has Quinn has pointed out, 5.1 sound is not mixed with multipoles in mind, and there are arguement for and against the use of multipoles. You should listen to a variety of systems to see what suits you.

-curtis

I've always had multipole surrounds and never thought about anything different. I went to a local B&M store this afternoon and asked them to demo a speaker system with monopole rears. Gotta admit - I was really impressed. SACDs and DVD-Audio sounded outstanding. Movies sounded different but a lot better with clearer and more direct sound effects. I should have checked this out a long time ago. Unfortunately, they do not sell the HK product line so I'll have to go somewhere tomorrow to have a listen. At least for my speakers, this is going to be an easy decision - CBM-170s all around, CMT 340C for center and a VTF2 MK2 sub.

Thanks

Bill

Ya see....Quinn does not lie often. []

-curtis

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by curtis

Ya see....Quinn does not lie often. []

-curtis

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

You've never been on the kayak fishing board I reside on. []

Spelling is a whole 'nother issue. LOL!

bill,

definitely 170s for the surrounds. no regrets!

pay close attention to quinn's statement up above about pro logic and the use of polar speakers. it's true. i just don't believe that polar speakers have much use any longer w/ today's recorded materials.

Ahhh, a fellow fisherman! We don't lie...we just don't know how to read tape measures or weight scales.

Randy

Yes, I caught 10 fish up to 22". ; )

Translation- I caught 9 dinky fish and one keeper.