Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Different surround speakers with Ascends???

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by billmail1

I'm also shopping for a new receiver and the HK's look good on Ascend's website but I've read many complaints on the AVS forum about dropped digital signals and audio losses when switching digital sources. I haven't read anything on this forum about it so I need to find a local dealer and listen to one for myself. If the audio drop out does not exist, I will purchase one on the Ascend website when buying their speakers. So many decisions - so little time and money.

Bill
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill, A while back I had the same questions you did about the audio dropout in HK AVRs. I e-mailed Dave F. @ Ascend and his response back to me is below (I hope he doesn't mind me passing it along, but his response helped me). I heard Curtis' Ascend set-up last year with his HK (525?), and it sounded absolutely great! As far as the sound... I loved it! As far as any other issue, I'll let current and former HK owners add their own thoughts and comments...

Dave.

<font color="blue">"Regarding the H/K receivers:

To be perfectly honest, we have only heard of this "issue" (if you want to call it that) only once from a customer. We have hundreds and hundreds of customers using H/K receivers.

I believe what H/K elected to do was program in an auto mute function. This is not a bad thing. If you have ever heard what a digital signal sounds like that has not been locked in and properly converted by a DAC, well, you would understand. Imagine, perhaps, the most startling annoying and loud sound imaginable... Better safe than sorry I say...

I think the slight mute is a small price to pay for the sheer power, dynamics, and loads of headroom these receivers offer (not to mention the true musicality of them).

EVERY receiver or processor we have used here has certain annoying issues. We have the top rated Rotel RSP-1066 processor in our lab and we find it incredibly annoying at times. However, the sound quality can't be beat and this is, for us, what is most important."

Take care!

Good Sound To You!
    ASCEND ACOUSTICS, INC.

David Fabrikant
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/</font id="blue">

Holy stuff!!! You guys are making it awfully difficult to justify going back to multipoles. The speakers are now a no-brainer. Gotta be Ascends. The B&M store that I was at today was really trying to build a positive case for monopole rears. Besides the clarity and pinpoint focusing of specific sounds, he said that todays receivers have plenty of built-in DSP effects to make monopole rears sound like multipoles. In fact, he demonstrated it by engaging Dolby ProLogic II while playing a DTS demo DVD. As soon as he selected the ProLogic II mode the monopole surrounds became very diffuse. Basically, he told me to go with monopoles and let the receiver do the sound diffusion (if that is the sound I wanted at any given time). He was right - it works perfectly. I really wish he had a HK receiver to demonstrate but that will come tomorrow. I'm feeling very positive that I will be making the right decision. And, as long as the rear CBM-170s are white, my wife will be content. Ahhhh....life is good!!

Bill

Here is what Dave F. has posted previously on this issue-

"During the old Pro-Logic days where the rear channel was simply a matrixed signal derived from the left and right channels, the need for ambient reflected sound was critical. Early Dolby THX standards even required this type of speaker.

With the introduction of discreet rear channels, the need for multi-polar rear speakers declined (as such Dolby THX standards were modified).

It is now simply a matter of personal taste, there are advantages and disadvantages to both multi-polar and omni-polar designs."

I decided to go with a pair of HTM-200s for the rear. You guys convinced me (as well as a very impressive demo at a local B&M store) that monopoles are the best way to go especially for DVD-Audio and SACD. If I want a diffuse sound in the rears, I'll just select a DSP mode in the receiver. Now I'm just waiting for everything to arrive [] []

Bill

Bill