Thread: Need help with subwoofer settings

Default Need help with subwoofer settings

Hi,

I have a pair of the Sierra-1 speakers and recently picked up a Pinnacle Baby Boomer subwoofer. It was only a couple of hundred bucks, and I thought worth it. In any event, I've also got a Marantz SR6003 receiver and an Emotiva UPA-7 power amp. I've included a picture of the subwoofer settings on the Baby Boomer. What would you suggest as a starting point?

Thanks,
    K
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Need help with subwoofer settings

Hi kamaboko,

I would recommend you let your Marantz receiver handle the bass management duties.

- For your subwoofer, keep the Crossover Bypass switch set to ON. The adjustment knob will not be active when the crossover section is bypassed.
    - I'd suggest flipping the Phase switch from 180 degrees to 0 degrees to start.
    - Set the subwoofer volume at the 12 o'clock position to start. You can always turn it down after.

Then go into your receiver setup menu and set your Sierras to SMALL (and any other speakers you have). Setting the speakers to SMALL means that the receiver will redirect any bass below the set crossover point and send it to the subwoofer. I'd suggest you start with 80 Hz as a crossover point.

If you'd rather use auto-setup, you can let Audyssey MultiEQ handle the calibration process automatically. It will set the speaker size, distance, level, and "best" crossover frequency. You can always edit the auto calibration results afterward.
    -Jacob

DR,

Thanks. I'll try your suggestions. I didn't know where to start. Also, I was thinking of going Mono/L in. Would that be the way to go from the Marantz to the subwoofer?

K
    Last edited by kamaboko; 11-09-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Yup! Mono/L input will work. I believe the 6003 has a single RCA connector for the subwoofer output, so that's pretty much your only option.
    -Jacob

DR,

Thanks for the help. All sounds very good. :-)

K

No problem! Enjoy!
    -Jacob