Thread: Tower Setup

Default Tower Setup

A couple of quick questions in anticipation of some new towers arriving in the near future:

1. I've seen references to using disks under the floor spikes that are designed for carpet. Photos of the towers show a flat base. Is there some reason not to just use the base on hardwood floors? Are spikes and disks necessary?

2. I've seen other references to using a relatively low crossover with the towers. My AVR (Pioneer VSX 1120) only has a single crossover. Will a low value work with my less-capable surrounds and center (NHT Super Zero and SC-1)?

Thanks for any advice.

Default Re: Tower Setup

Hi Jhnsmj,

Happy to assist you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jhnsmj View Post
    A couple of quick questions in anticipation of some new towers arriving in the near future:

1. I've seen references to using disks under the floor spikes that are designed for carpet. Photos of the towers show a flat base. Is there some reason not to just use the base on hardwood floors? Are spikes and disks necessary?
    You definitely do not need to use the spike/disc combination on hardwood floors. I don't recommend setting the plinth directly flat on your flooring though as it might scratch it. In my home, in rooms with hardwood flooring I use 1/4" thick round felt pads that I purchased from Lowes for a few dollars. These have an adhesive side and I would recommend attaching these to the underside of the plinth. They will protect your flooring and also allow the speaker to be easily positioned.

2. I've seen other references to using a relatively low crossover with the towers. My AVR (Pioneer VSX 1120) only has a single crossover. Will a low value work with my less-capable surrounds and center (NHT Super Zero and SC-1)? Thanks for any advice.
    Considering the center and surrounds, I would keep the crossover at 80Hz for multi-channel listening. The towers will still sound great and when listening to 2-channel sources, you can always drop the crossover lower or simply run the towers full range.

hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thanks, that's very helpful. I appreciate the extensive time you take to answer all of our questions. Pretty amazing.

Mark

Dave,

Thanks, that's very helpful. I appreciate the extensive time you take to answer all of our questions. Pretty amazing.

Mark
    It is my pleasure
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com