Thread: A message to say "Hello" and "Help"

Talking A message to say "Hello" and "Help"

Hello, fellow audio enthusiast! I have enjoyed reading many of your discussions regarding Ascend Acoustics' products as well as the ones that simply share a passion for high quality audio enjoyment. I am thankful (read: Thrilled!) to be a part of your community. With that said, I have an agonizing dilemma that I am hoping your wisdom and experience may help to resolve.
    In the nutshell, I'm trying to decide whether or not to replace my 23+ year old KEF 104/2s (original owner) with a pair of wall-mounted Sierra-1s. This imposing decision is driven by my effort to make my shrinking house more accommodating and family friendly for my growing family. The Sierras' would not only replace my two channel dedicated KEFs, but also assume the role of HT speakers replacing Acoustic Energy Aegis IIIs. I am currently using a Velodyne CT100 with the KEFs.
    I am the stereotypical "Champagne taste on a beer budget." My listening ratio is probably greater than ninety percent toward the two-channel side. I am a huge fan of a detailed soundstage. My electronics are all NAD: 1300 preamp, 272 amp, and C515BEE CD player. And, my musical taste are all over the map. I look forward to hearing you thoughts and wisdom.

Best Wishes,

Tim

Default Re: A message to say "Hello" and "Help"

Just quickly searching for info on the Kefs revealed a common issue with that design. The dual-opposed internal woofers have dry-rot issues with the foam surrounds, causing other problems which alter the performance of the speaker over time. Since the woofers are mounted horizontally the cone will sag over time as well.

I think doing Ascend's 30-day in home trial would be a good step. I'd use the Q-plugs if you are planning to wall mount them since they are rear-ported.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thank you for taking the time to research my speakers. I am familiar with both of those concern/issues that seem to have plagued the 104/2.

I agree that the ideal approach would be to the 30-day trial, and will likely go that direction. I guess my biggest concern is that wall-mounting the Sierras, either with or without the plugs, will degrade the speaker's highly acclaimed performance.

Quote Originally Posted by tim h View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to research my speakers. I am familiar with both of those concern/issues that seem to have plagued the 104/2.

I agree that the ideal approach would be to the 30-day trial, and will likely go that direction. I guess my biggest concern is that wall-mounting the Sierras, either with or without the plugs, will degrade the speaker's highly acclaimed performance.
    Hi Tim,

The Sierra-1 is quite versatile with regard to placement. We have many hundreds of very happy Sierra-1 owners who are wall mounting the speakers. Certainly there is some degree of compromise by wall mounting the speakers (the same for almost any speaker) but the wide and symmetrical dispersion of the speaker really helps to minimize ill effects.

I agree with the recommendation to give them a try -- best to audition them in your home and in the position you wish to use them.

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com