Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Center channel mounts for CMT-340 SE

Default Center channel mounts for CMT-340 SE

I have decided on purchasing 4 CMB170s with a CMT-340 center in order to complete my HT setup. While looking for mounting options, I contacted Ascend sales for recommendations. They directed me to the forums. While I looked at some old posts in the forums, many of them are just that, old and many of the mounts talked about are discontinued.

I was quite disappointed by Ascend Sales when I get a "sorry, can;t help" answer. AN honest answer for sure but not one I was expecting from a company that sells direct to customers and especially from Ascend. It would really help out potential customers if mount recommendations/suggestions were offered based on what existing customers use.

Based on my research, comparing sizes and weights, the following might work but I was looking to see if any one had used them and had any feedback in particular.

1) Pinpoint AM-15 . Looks like it should work, but would have to be extended out completely to fit the 340. Have heard when extended, these things are not all that robust..True/ not true?
    2)Peerless PS200 Adjustable component shelf . Looks like it can handle upto 100 lbs but would have almost 5 inches between the speaker back and the wall. SO might not be the best aesthetically.

ANyone use these for thier CMT-340 centers? Looking forward to your responses.

Default Re: Center channel mounts for CMT-340 SE

How and where are you mounting the monitor and the speaker? Speaker above or below the monitor? Other obstructions in the area?

The plan is to mount it on the wall above the TV. IF I were moutnign it below, I would put in a cabinet of some sort with enough clearance in the back.

I have used one of those Peerless PS200 mounts with a 340 center speaker above my TV. You can actually slide the 340 fairly close to the wall without problems. Although it might be a good idea across it over at 80 hz if it's close to the wall. Aesthetically I don't think it is bad at all. Right now I am using the peerless mount for a Sierra-1 center. I think the peerless mount is definitely the way to go. I will try to post some pictures of it when I have time.
    Andrew
    -------------------------

TV: Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR706, Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2, Blu Ray: Sony BDP-N460
    Fronts/Center/Surrounds: Sierra Towers Nrt, Sierra-1, HTM-200
    Sub: HSU VTF-3 MK-4

Quote Originally Posted by Venkat View Post
    I have decided on purchasing 4 CMB170s with a CMT-340 center in order to complete my HT setup. While looking for mounting options, I contacted Ascend sales for recommendations. They directed me to the forums. While I looked at some old posts in the forums, many of them are just that, old and many of the mounts talked about are discontinued.

I was quite disappointed by Ascend Sales when I get a "sorry, can;t help" answer. AN honest answer for sure but not one I was expecting from a company that sells direct to customers and especially from Ascend. It would really help out potential customers if mount recommendations/suggestions were offered based on what existing customers use.
    Hi Venkat,

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment. In the past, we have offered several center channel bracket solutions. Unfortunately, these are no longer available because the manufacturers have simply stopped making them. It is quite frustrating for us as we had spent much time and energy researching various options and then going through various dealer qualifications so we can sell them. We are extremely busy here and we have learned the hard way that it is in our best interest to focus our available energy towards what we do best -- loudspeakers.

That said, I have always been a fan of simply using "L" brackets to mount center channels. Two "L" brackets mounted to the wall and then simply place the center on top of the brackets. "L" brackets are the same type of brackets that are used to mount shelving, and are available in many different colors and styles.

Your best bet to learn more options is exactly what you are doing now, take full advantage of our community to see just what our customers are using

Based on my research, comparing sizes and weights, the following might work but I was looking to see if any one had used them and had any feedback in particular.

1) Pinpoint AM-15 . Looks like it should work, but would have to be extended out completely to fit the 340. Have heard when extended, these things are not all that robust..True/ not true?
    I have recommended these many times in the past. They are basically the same as using basic "L" brackets as I suggested above. They are a very good option but you can go to Lowes and purchase something similar for even less $$$.

2)Peerless PS200 Adjustable component shelf . Looks like it can handle upto 100 lbs but would have almost 5 inches between the speaker back and the wall. SO might not be the best aesthetically.
    Another good choice but if you need the speaker to be closer to the wall, I strongly suggest using small "L" brackets. All of the various mounts we sold in the past positioned the center further out from the wall.

I hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

If you have room below the monitor use a conventional speaker stand to place the speaker close to the bottom of the monitor. Dark Ranger suggested an adjustable stand from Sweetwater here: http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=5120

Wow! I am overwhelmed by the response of the forum. Dave and everyone else who responded - thanks a lot. It makes things for a an HT/Audio neophyte like me much easier.

Looks like I have a lot of options to look into. Nothing else to do but go ahead and place my order for the speakers.

Thanks much all.

Venkat

Wow! I am overwhelmed by the response of the forum. Dave and everyone else who responded - thanks a lot. It makes things for a an HT/Audio neophyte like me much easier.

Looks like I have a lot of options to look into. Nothing else to do but go ahead and place my order for the speakers.

Thanks much all.

Venkat
    You are most welcome... and it is OUR pleasure
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just got the tracking number for the order. Will update you guys once I get the whole setup working..

Many thanks to DaveF for the suggestion about simply using some flat steel "L" brackets to mount a center channel CMT-340 underneath the wall mount flat screen! We have a CMT-340 center on order right now and this just may have solved my speaker mounting issue. Is there any reason to provide more than two inches of clearance (enough room to hook up the speaker wire) behind the CMT-340?

The next purchase is a sub - but I'm having a LOT of trouble in justifying spending the ~$200 in shipping costs that everyone (HSU, SVS, Outlaw, etc) seems to want to charge for shipping up here (SE Alaska).

Dave