Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Oppo BDP-103

Default New Oppo BDP-103

If anyone is shopping for a new BD player like myself, it appears at least the new base model BDP-103 is now available for sale from Oppo at 499.00 It has HDMI, optical, coax, and even analog audio out. I'm pretty tempted to buy this unit as I really want to upgrade from my 99.00 Panasonic, mainly for the audio. It might be a while yet.....so if anyone else happens to get one, please share your thoughts.

Default Re: New Oppo BDP-103

Hi bdfin,

As it turns out, I just bought the BDP-103 yesterday from OPPO.

I must confess that this unit will not be for me; I bought it for my folks as a Christmas gift. They have an H/K DVD player (which I also bought for them over 4 years ago), but they have interest in Blu-ray capability. The plan is to upgrade them with the BDP-103, and then I will take the H/K for my system for it's DVD-A/SACD capabilities.

Since Christmas is still two months away, I plan use it in my system to get an overall feel for it. Not only will it expedite setup in their system if I'm comfortable with the menus, but I can also ensure proper working condition. It's always important to make sure it works.

I'll post some thoughts here after I've had some time to review it. This will be my first OPPO.

Now I'll have an excuse to bring over my BD movies for my folks to enjoy.
    -Jacob

I bought a used BDP-83 earlier this year, and I am very happy with it.

I would be interested in how the BDP-103 accesses network media, and the user interface.
    -curtis

Yep, I have an older unit myself and it still works fine but now that my concert collection on BR is growing I'd like a better unit. The old oppo sounds better than the cheap panasonic BR I have now. The pany works fine and I will move it to the bedroom setup, but really want a better unit for the main system.
    Dark Ranger, look foward to your observations, thanks.

If you are connecting via HDMI to your receiver or pre/pro, you won't get any better sound.
    -curtis

Thanks Curtis, I would probably go with the analog outs as I really want to use it for SACD and DVD-A too, but you're right if it was done HDMI for the BD discs. I guess I could switch it back and forth when needed possibly. I was hoping to be able to possibly hook up the 103 both ways and switch it via the settings on the receiver maybe, but the HDMI would probably trump the analog outs if hooked up at the same time. Right now with even standard cd's the older oppo sounds nicer through the analog outs than played in the panasonic with HDMI. Just kinda wanted a unit that would play everything instead of 2 units, 1 for each. I want to move those 2 players to different systems anyways.

FedEx just delivered the BDP-103.

The unit is very cold, so I will let it warm up before applying power and testing it out. However, my first impressions are very positive. The packaging, presentation, and overall feel of the unit tells me it is worth the asking price. It's a high-quality product. The manual appears well-written (from a quick skim) and the remote buttons seem laid out well.

So far, I am very impressed! I will try to post some pics tonight.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by bdfin View Post
    Thanks Curtis, I would probably go with the analog outs as I really want to use it for SACD and DVD-A too, but you're right if it was done HDMI for the BD discs. I guess I could switch it back and forth when needed possibly. I was hoping to be able to possibly hook up the 103 both ways and switch it via the settings on the receiver maybe, but the HDMI would probably trump the analog outs if hooked up at the same time. Right now with even standard cd's the older oppo sounds nicer through the analog outs than played in the panasonic with HDMI. Just kinda wanted a unit that would play everything instead of 2 units, 1 for each. I want to move those 2 players to different systems anyways.
    SACD and DVD-A work over HDMI as well....it all depends on where you want the decoding to happen.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    FedEx just delivered the BDP-103.

The unit is very cold, so I will let it warm up before applying power and testing it out. However, my first impressions are very positive. The packaging, presentation, and overall feel of the unit tells me it is worth the asking price. It's a high-quality product. The manual appears well-written (from a quick skim) and the remote buttons seem laid out well.

So far, I am very impressed! I will try to post some pics tonight.
    I'd really be interested, if you have the capability, on the ease of use when accessing media on a NAS drive, as well as a USB drive.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    SACD and DVD-A work over HDMI as well....it all depends on where you want the decoding to happen.
    Well I would probably hook it up both ways to see which I preferred, obviously just using HDMI would be easiest. I would also be interested in accessing an external drive or NAS, that would be super sweet.