Thread: Please Advise

IMO, you will get better mids, and an overall cleaner more accurate sound with either the CBM-170 or CMT-340.

You have some great gear, the best thing to do is the 30 day trial, and truly do a side by side comparison.

Or look for someone in your area with Ascends that is willing to do an A/B with your B&W's.

-curtis

Curtis
    Thank-you so much for your reply. When you say cleaner and a more accurate sound, what do you mean?

I'm not familiar with the 610's, but I "upgraded" to the CBM-170's from B&W 602's, series 1, and have been very satisfied with the improvements. Better,non-fatigueing highs, clearer midrange and tighter, though not as deep, bass. They seem to image better as well, and are very transparent....getting out of the way of the sound. I figured for $300 including shipping(at the time)I would give them a try. I ended up selling the 602's at a local hi-fi shop on consignment and made enough to purchase some nice stands!

Ed

tommy,
    http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/a...ics_cbm170.htm
    doug schneider on soundstage believed that the 170s were comparable to his reference $1495 pair of monitors. "Money can’t solve everything, and speakers like the CBM-170 illustrate that design prowess is more important than money anyway."

I could only imagine what soundstage will have to say about Ascend's 340s.

I have listened to a fair amount of speakers and I have found that the Ascends integrate seamlessly with HSU subwoofers.

Only you will be able to tell if the sound is a dramatic improvement. Order a pair and let us know!