Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head to Head Receiver Challenge. Spending $3,000 for Yamaha RX-A2010 vs Denon 4311ci

Default Head to Head Receiver Challenge. Spending $3,000 for Yamaha RX-A2010 vs Denon 4311ci

Ok, so after deliberating about buying a better receiver to accommodate my new speakers and sub, .... after hearing 50% that receiver is a major part vs another 50% of people saying that it's not ... I've decided to see for myself if I need to spend $1,000+ on a receiver.

I am going to buy;

Yamaha Rx-A2010 = $1,400
    and
    Denon 4311ci = $1,500

to see if I hear a difference when compared to my current Yamaha rx-v465 receiver.

I will report my findings on this board in a week.

My questions for you guys is .... what should I look for?
    First run everything flat? no EQ, etc?
    Second test is to use those things like Audyssey and YPAO to see which one deals best with my room?

What else???

thank you.

P.S. I hate the fact that it will take at least 10 min to switch from each receiver. Especially since I don't use banana plugs and it's not that easy to get to the back of my receiver.

My System
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

Default Re: Head to Head Receiver Challenge. Spending $3,000 for Yamaha RX-A2010 vs Denon 431

You are a brave man, Pianist!

To do this correctly some sort of switcher is the best method, where you can instantaneously switch from receiver to receiver. Of course they will have to be level-matched. I'd let each one use its auto setup to set speaker distance and levels, then go into the setup menus to check the settings(Large/small speakers, sub crossover, etc.) and try to equal those out to level the playing field. Definitely run things without EQ at first. Do a simple 2.1 setup......front L/R + sub, with the assumption that a switching box is not going to be used, to simplify transferring connections. I'd stack the units out into the room to allow easy access to front and back. Bananas will make speaker switching quick and painless. Hook up a single media source which can be played and replayed quickly. Choose a familiar track or 8 and have fun! Don't forget to turn the power OFF when making any connection changes.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: Head to Head Receiver Challenge. Spending $3,000 for Yamaha RX-A2010 vs Denon 431

The Denon is the polar opposite of the rxv-465, your going to a 9 channel with 140 watts per channel and the 2nd finest Audyssey room correction program with built in subwoofer correction. Everything with the Denon will be better as far as available features and functions. Dial norm, various volume control adjustments, stout amplifiers, just everything crazy better. My opinion it will spank both Yamaha's. I do like the warm Yamaha sound but almost everyone that listens to a Denon at this high level will praise the clarity and dynamics. Both present unique sonic nuances. I also auditioned the Denon and their higher units and also noted the clarity signature they provide. Its all up to preference on what you think sounds good.

So .... final comparison ..... decided to buy 3 models to compare

Denon 4311ci
    vs
    Onkyo tx-nr818
    vs
    Yamaha rx-a2010

which one do you predict a winner? :-)
    Sub - Rythmik F12

Hi Pianist,

Good luck with the face-off. This is the way to do it: evaluating components with your setup and in your own home. Take your time and try to enjoy the process. I know you have to be critical for a purchase decision, but don't forget to smell the flowers along the way.

I'd recommend you arrange the receivers in a manner of convenience, perhaps on the floor side-by-side. There's no need to stuff it inside the cabinet and make it pretty. I would definitely recommend you look into banana plugs for the evaluation period (at least for your mains). This will make it much easier and quicker to switch between receivers. The simplest plugs are screw-on or crimp connectors. If you prefer a bare-wire connection for final install, that's fine.

In addition, I'd also suggest you listen first in "Direct" mode to get a feel for the receiver's sonic signature. Bypass any DSP and room correction software; go direct/pure/straight. Once you've got a handle on the sound, then you can engage DSP/RCS and see how it changes.

One more thing regarding safety: remember to make any connections/disconnections with the receiver turned off. Double-check it before you make a move. I know it's easy to get involved and excited with evaluation.

Oh, one last thing: try not to have a "favorite" before you start. Keep an open mind.
    -Jacob

I think the "winner" is going to be based largely on how you set them up, and how the comparison is done. It is going to be a lot of work to really compare and get a good feel for each unit.

Take your time and have fun. If you have the units for 30 day trials, I say spend a week with each one, spend the last week comparing them, and then ship the ones you didn't like back.

For me and my current setup, it took at least a month just to really understand how to control and understand all the settings, but is a quirky unit with an "un-conventional" EQ and placement correction system.

edit: just read Dark Ranger's response....nail on the head! I would also suggest getting banana plugs...it will save you a lot of time and effort in switching the speakers from one unit to another.
    Last edited by curtis; 10-08-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    -curtis

Between the Denon and Onkyo, the Denon is the only one that can be upgraded to Audyssey Pro (installer ready) room correction. That is Audysseys top professional correction and most advanced program they offer to their top tier products licensed.

I also like the Onkyo with all the available THX modes and processing. Onkyo 7.2 vs. Denon 9.2.

The 818 is a beast with its Select2 THX certification. From your pictures of your room it does look like it would do the job vs. Ultra2 certification. Both great and I view it like this...the Denon is like a Audi and the Onkyo is a BMW, both different but both in the same series or group. Pick your flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    which one do you predict a winner? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Oh, one last thing: try not to have a "favorite" before you start. Keep an open mind.
    I'm with DR on this 100%. Asking for opinions is going to help taint your own thoughts.
    -curtis

How much would you care about the Damping Factor? Someone told me that Denon is not great with it compared to Yamaha and Onkyo.
    Sub - Rythmik F12

You cannot audibly measure yourself or hear, and the biggest thing you can and will notice while listening is that the 465 cannot compare to either of these higher end units. The Denon and Onkyo are higher end units with greater abilities and performance with heavier construction.