Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Default Re: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    Now I need a receiver that would allow me to save different sound options .... one for movies and one for music. My current one I THINK, doesn't do that.
    I'm pretty sure with my Onkyo 809 the crossover setting is not configurable per source or preset. Many things are, but not crossover, distance, etc. as they could affect the other EQ settings dramatically.

Nope .... i like them with Sub.
    Then changing the crossover isn't going to make them sound fuller.

Lowering the crossover to 60hz put more bass responsibility on the Sierra-1. If you don't think the Sierra-1 sounds fuller on its own, giving it more bass responsibility would be going backwards.

After following your issues, I agree with Bluetarsky, you should totally reset your receiver and start from scratch.
    -curtis

I'm looking on page 24 of your receivers manual and it shows and explains the movie button, the music button, the stereo button (stereo playback, multi channel stereo playback, and compressed music enhancer), and finally your surround decode button. All on the remote. Your scene buttons directly on your receiver as you know switches playback between sources only. All above don't even get into your sound field programs. Most all receivers from entry to pro will decode what's available, its the features and added functions you will gain if you still are considering a more advanced product. Do you want massive control over each channel, more defined adjustability, dial norm functions, and more accuracy in manually setting the system up? If so, the 465 will need to be replaced. The distance will have to still be set with this product if YPAO is not used. This product due to its design is maximized using the room correction setup. If you don't want the EQ then run the calibration on "Fronts" to allow the receiver to at least time everything and align everything. The front mode adds zero EQ to your Sierra's and zero to your sub, just times everything and tries to get the distance to listening position set or it will not sound good. This product rely's on using the correction setup.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    All things being equal, and good sub integration....crossing over at 60hz and 80hz should not change the fullness...but maybe the quality.

With my old sub, I could hear a difference with quality between 60hz and 80hz...with 60hz sounding better, so that is where I crossed.

With my current sub, I hear no difference between the two, so I cross at 80hz. I use Q Plug B in all my Sierra-1's. I used to use Q Plug A in my center, but some rearranging, and I moved to the B plug.
    I used 80 Hz for a long time. However, based on Alleric's findings a while back, I wanted to give it another shot since many things have changed in my setup. In my room, there were noticeable differences with how the Sierras sounded with specific crossover settings. The lower crossover settings definitely added more weight to the fronts. My room is much smaller than yours, so that may be part of it.

Do the Sierras sound "full" when set to large and no sub in use?
    Nope .... i like them with Sub.
    Then changing the crossover isn't going to make them sound fuller.

Lowering the crossover to 60hz put more bass responsibility on the Sierra-1. If you don't think the Sierra-1 sounds fuller on its own, giving it more bass responsibility would be going backwards.

After following your issues, I agree with Bluetarsky, you should totally reset your receiver and start from scratch.
    Pianist:

Since you've acknowledged the Sierra-1s don't sound "full" when set to Large with no sub, I have to agree with curtis here. Crossover adjustment will not help. Using a crossover means that the frequencies below the crossover point are attenuated at a specific rate. Technically, the higher the crossover, the more "thin" a speaker would sound because low frequencies contribute weight, body, and depth to the audio signal. Remove those and the speaker can sound very different.

Honestly, Blutarsky has good advice here: reset your receiver and start over with configuration. There is definitely something strange going on...
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    I used 80 Hz for a long time. However, based on Alleric's findings a while back, I wanted to give it another shot since many things have changed in my setup. In my room, there were noticeable differences with how the Sierras sounded with specific crossover settings. The lower crossover settings definitely added more weight to the fronts. My room is much smaller than yours, so that may be part of it.

Pianist:

Since you've acknowledged the Sierra-1s don't sound "full" when set to Large with no sub, I have to agree with curtis here. Crossover adjustment will not help. Using a crossover means that the frequencies below the crossover point are attenuated at a specific rate. Technically, the higher the crossover, the more "thin" a speaker would sound because low frequencies contribute weight, body, and depth to the audio signal. Remove those and the speaker can sound very different.

Honestly, Blutarsky has good advice here: reset your receiver and start over with configuration. There is definitely something strange going on...

What I meant is that .... speakers sound full but with sub overall sound is better. Now .... for mid frequencies that my speakers can handle with no problems, I don't want them sounding "thin". I'd rather have the sub come in when sound goes below 60Hz.

Anyway .... leaving office now ... heading home ... will play with crossover when I get to it. :-)
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

just noticed that my Yamaha receiver had the Adaptive DRC option turned ON all this time. Which ... limited the lows and highs in ability to produce full range. Once I turned it Off .......... dialog became much much clearer and louder, at the same time ... explosions only became louder from my sub ... not overall loudness that I wouldn't like.
    Sub - Rythmik F12

just noticed that my Yamaha receiver had the Adaptive DRC option turned ON all this time. Which ... limited the lows and highs in ability to produce full range. Once I turned it Off .......... dialog became much much clearer and louder, at the same time ... explosions only became louder from my sub ... not overall loudness that I wouldn't like.
    Bingo!

I still think you should reset the receiver.
    -curtis

Bingo!

I still think you should reset the receiver.
    :-) strange no>? shouldn't this option actually make dialog much, much clearer???
    Sub - Rythmik F12

I'm getting to where I want less processing. I switched Audyssey XT on and off today and even though I really I want to like it, I think the imaging and 'air' around the highs was better with it off. Instruments sound a little more 'real' and natural without Audyssey, so I won't be using it for now. I haven't had good success with Dynamic Volume type modes either. So it's a typical case of ymmv. Some people love the auto-calibration/digital processing modes and others don't.

:-) strange no>? shouldn't this option actually make dialog much, much clearer???
    Well, it depends on how it was implemented.

Tough to say because we are only going by your descriptions and not actually hearing for ourselves.
    -curtis