Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Default Re: Help ! My Receiver is Out of Control! Or am I the stupid one?

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I'm getting to where I want less processing. I switched Audyssey XT on and off today and even though I really I want to like it, I think the imaging and 'air' around the highs was better with it off. Instruments sound a little more 'real' and natural without Audyssey, so I won't be using it for now. I haven't had good success with Dynamic Volume type modes either. So it's a typical case of ymmv. Some people love the auto-calibration/digital processing modes and others don't.

On pure, 2-channel stereo listening, I notice a very, very distinct shifting in front image between the DIRECT (source + EQ, distance and standing wave) and DIRECT PURE (source... no processing by the AVR). Telling the AVR to shut everything off and just play the source's info unaltered yields a much wider, deeper, more saturated sound stage. On the times I am sitting dead center doing critical listening, this is the way I roll. Every other time I have it set to DIRECT. Under direct, the soundstage collapses slightly and really focuses the center image, to the slight detriment of the width. The tradeoff is that there are indeed some equalization issues when the processing is turned off. It's a compromise in a non-dedicated room, so you just do what you can.

As for subs, no subs, crossovers of subs, etc... my opinion is pretty well known at this point. Rooms vary, equipment varies, sources vary... and people vary. I've been told at times that the sound I like is brutally clinical when it comes to bass, and maybe that's true. All I know is that this is the most effortless and in-control my setup has ever sounded on music, movies, whatever, and attribute a great amount of that to my Sierra's and my Big Black Box (VTF-3).

yeah, I really wouldn't say any DSP filters do much to improve the sound clarity and openness.. but they certainly can modify how things sound overall. It's more of a tradeoff than anything.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

I notice that the same option is available on the new Samsung Blu Ray player and when I turn it ON there, it's actually not bad. Makes it a bit easier on the ears for really loud music. I still get all the highs and lows of sound but it's contained a bit better.

i am thinking if I'll get a better, clearer dialog sound if I upgrade my receiver.
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR 4311ci
    L/R - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Center - Ascend Sierra-1 NrT
    Surrounds - Ascend HTM-200
    Sub - Rythmik F12
    TV - Sharp LC-80LE650U 80-inch
    Screen - 135" STR-169135-G Silver Ticket 4K Ultra HD Ready
    Projector - Epson Home Cinema 3100 1080p
    SACD Player - Sony C222ES

I doubt anyone will see this, but, I have a question....is it ever correct to run the Sierra 1s as Large? I don't have a sub....I've not blown the sierras and there is tons of bass, so I never considered a sub. Should I be running it as "small" though? Thanks

Oh. I see I can't...without a sub, it defaults to Large on my Denon 2809 ci
    Last edited by catsAf; 06-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catsAf View Post
    I doubt anyone will see this, but, I have a question....is it ever correct to run the Sierra 1s as Large? I don't have a sub....I've not blown the sierras and there is tons of bass, so I never considered a sub. Should I be running it as "small" though? Thanks

Oh. I see I can't...without a sub, it defaults to Large on my Denon 2809 ci
    Sierra-1 as large is fine, it is when Audessey tries to boost the low end when that makes it bad.
    -curtis