Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else sick of the AVS Forum?

I pretty much quit posting there for two reasons:

1) My setup is already overkill for my needs.

2) Just about every thread in the speaker forum can be broken down into a suggestion for either Rocket, Hsu, SVS, Axiom, or Ascend (yes, even Ascend).

I say that as a proud owner of Ascend and SVS. If the situation calls for it I have no qualms recommending SVS, Ascend, or Hsu based on my firsthand experiences with all three manufacturers. The same goes for Denon, Klipsch, Paradigm, Kef, M&K, Def Tech, et al.

That being said, it got old reading the same recommendations day after day.

I agree with Clutch.

I think it is just the same stuff recycled over and over. I even try not to post about Ascend unless it is a specific question or a good fit/situation. I think that is why people recommend using the search button. For the most part, it is not as interesting. The Amps and Receivers section is a little more interesting.

The forum also seems to be getting more traffic from new folks. I hope that speaks well for the economy...but that is another thread.

The SVS thing, IMO, also has to do with the fact that SVS does not have their own forum. Which in a way I think is smart on their part, it causes SVS owners to go to other forums to talk about SVS, but also gives that "swarming" feeling.

-curtis

SVS makes fine subs. I prefer my HSU, but I wouldn't discount the SVS products.

In general, AVS has "newbs" looking for info or set-up information or you have people who are looking for purchase help, or the last group, the ones who are damned sure they are right and everyone else is wrong. That includes some reviewers.

I've gone "head-to-head" with the latter a couple of times. While I've been a member there for a few years, I've got a couple of people on my "ignore" list from those encounters. It certainly makes cruising those forums a lot more civil.

Sony WE610 60" LCD RPTV
    Pioneer Elite 59TXi AVR
    Pioneer Elite 59AVi Universal DVD player
    CBM 340 Front L/R
    CBM 340c Center
    HTM 200s Rear L/R and rear surround (6.1)
    HSU VTF-3
    Monster THX certified interconnects
    DIY speaker cable (that's better than anyhing I can purchase elsewhere)

Since we're talking about other forums, I'll chime in and say that in my opinion the folks at HTF seem to be more civil.

HTF is a civil place. Its traffic has dropped a lot. Curtis may have hit it right on with the economy. But the boards do get more traffic in the winter when people are stuck inside and have X-mas money.

At X-Mas...with the kids...I have less money. []

-curtis

Don't feel like "The Lone Ranger" Curtis! Right now we're buying back to school supplies and clothes for the kids and it isn't cheap. []

Tell me about it! 2 kids in Catholic school:Tuition,uniforms, supplies, plus my wife starts her last pre-nursing program course w/tuition and those overpriced medical textbooks.....sheesh! The light at the end of the tunnel: Nursing pays very well!!!

Ed

My kids' school PTA was asking for Parents to "donate" $600 per kid! If you donated, a nice "Meadows School Family" sign was put in front of house, and your name listed in a "donation" flyer. Nice pressure tactic.

-curtis

I hear you, Mag Neato. My honey's a nurse.