Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Default Re: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Ported subs definitely have their advantages, but in my experience, there are definitely different sound characteristics.
    Hi Curtis...I heard Avs member PBC dual, dual av15hs and I understand how sealed units can pressurize a room...not sure what you mean by sound characteristics being different other than sealed units with second order harmonics are able to acheive those last few octaves which separate the 2 designs from a performance standpoint.

However...to me both sub playing within their limits sounded mostly simliar and both provided very tight accurate tacle bass(I know sounds like a cliche'..sorry) without missing a beat...especially in the mid to upper mid bass domain where most music is usually concentrated.

Ps: One day I'd like to hear a Rythmik sub and judge them for myself...if they weren't quality subs...Ascend likely wouldn't be afilited with them...

Regards...Bill

If you hear a sealed sub playing 16hz organ note, and a ported sub (port tuned to 16hz) playing the same note, the sound isn't the same.

Illka in his test of a Rythmik noted how it sounded "drier", lack of overhang.
    -curtis

Just saw that center speaker is 23" wide. My max space is 22" unless i hang my plasma on the wall and give full stand space to center speaker.

Opinion on having towers NrT with center Sierra-1NrT ???
    Movies and music?

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    Just saw that center speaker is 23" wide. My max space is 22" unless i hang my plasma on the wall and give full stand space to center speaker.
    There are several people who have opted for hanging the plasma and using the top of the stand to hold the STC (self included). I am very happy with the results. Take a look at the last 7 or so pages of the photo thread. WAF is very high in my case.

There is no compromise in sound quality and the center is a nice piece of furniture. Why hide it?!

Quote Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
    There are several people who have opted for hanging the plasma and using the top of the stand to hold the STC (self included). I am very happy with the results. Take a look at the last 7 or so pages of the photo thread. WAF is very high in my case.

There is no compromise in sound quality and the center is a nice piece of furniture. Why hide it?!
    include me as well.....hang that TV and get the HTC!! You won't regret it.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I am thinking .... Is keeping Sierra-1 NrT as surrounds an overkill?

I do listen to music in 7ch receiver mode, so if for movies it may be an overkill, is it also too much for 7ch music listening? Could i have been more than happy with lets say the HTM 200?

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    I am thinking .... Is keeping Sierra-1 NrT as surrounds an overkill?

I do listen to music in 7ch receiver mode, so if for movies it may be an overkill, is it also too much for 7ch music listening? Could i have been more than happy with lets say the HTM 200?

Sample size of one (me): I don't think it's overkill at all, not for music or movies in 7ch. I'd say you'd easily be happy with an HTM 200, but the Sierras are very punchy, dynamic, more refined, and a pleasure to use as surrounds. It depends on your pocketbook...using them as such is a luxury, but it's great.
    Jon O.

Poket allowes me to do it but having money is not a reason to overspend or spend where it's not needed. For home theater it is probably an overkill but for music in All speakers mode it may not. Just wanted to see what others think. Thanks

I use HTM-200's for surrounds and I don't feel like I'm missing anything. But there is no doubt that 170's and especially Sierra's would be an upgrade. It's definitely not where I would spend my money and more importantly I don't have the space to properly set 170's or Sierra's up.
    So, if you have the room and feel like you want the 'best', than go with the Sierra's for surrounds. DVD-A and SACD discs will sound FANTASTIC!
    If all of you music is two channel than Sierra's for surrounds might not be worth it.

I am still torn between RAAL vs NrT.

Currently I have (L/C/R) Sierras-1 NrT.

I am thinking .... for two kinds of sounds will I hear a big improvement from the RAAL tweeter. Those 2 sounds are ...... a leading saxophone in a smooth jazz music and human voice in movies. How bit of an improvement will this be for those specific sounds?