Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Default Re: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Pianist718 View Post
    I am in brooklyn, NY

I just thought that maybe a sub like FV12 (ported) was better in my situation. No?

Also ... what's the benefit of F12SE (signature edition)
    I don't see any benefit in your situation with the FV12. What advantage do you see in it ? We can discuss.

The "SE" difference is just in the finish...piano black.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I don't see any benefit in your situation with the FV12. What advantage do you see in it ? We can discuss.

The "SE" difference is just in the finish...piano black.
    I thought that I can do good with less spend and plus, I hear ported sub is better for movies. Rythmik are known for their Ported subs sounding as good as other sealed subs for music.

I thought that I can do good with less spend and plus, I hear ported sub is better for movies. Rythmik are known for their Ported subs sounding as good as other sealed subs for music.
    Ported subs can play louder around the tuning of the port, in the lower octave their capabilities. This is especially good in larger rooms.

Your room is not big, and you don't play at loud levels, so this advantage is lost.

If you want save money, then the FV12 is a good option. It just won't sound as great as the F12, but that isn't to say it isn't great in its own right.
    -curtis

So a final verdict .... Spend $1,000 to have Towers (L/R), sierra-1 NrT center and old HTIB sub

Or

Spend $1,000 on a Rythmik f12 sub and keep my (l/c/r) Sierra-1 NrTs?

What do u guys think?

Just going based on what Dave had mentioned, the center 'should' be the most ideal speaker when it comes to surround. The HTIB sub seems more out of place given that.

It does seem upgrading the sub is a better idea.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Ported is going to be louder, if that what is you need or want.
    The peq version is very handy, it can help you tailor a better sound with the different settings like damping and extension and the peq.

Hi Pianist,

If I remember correctly, you enjoy listening to a subwoofer for music and movies, and you'd like to keep it that way. While it is true that the Sierra Towers/Horizon will be a step up in performance over your Sierra-1 NrT, the fact remains that the Onkyo HTIB sub is not contributing on the same level of your Sierra-1s. If I can be more blunt, it's basically a weak link in the chain. Therefore, my suggestion would be to upgrade your subwoofer since you want the bass reinforcement for music and movies.

Since you're still considering Rythmik, I agree with Curtis and recommend the sealed version (F12) instead of the ported. In your own words:

Since I have neighbors (apartment building) I am not looking for big output. Can't have my walls shake. Want accuracy and sound quality.
    As Curtis pointed out, the usual benefits of a ported subwoofer don't blend with your requirements. The sealed sub will give you the accuracy and sound quality you're looking for. Trust me on that. Last year, I upgraded my old 250 watt Acoustic Research 12" sealed subwoofer (with passive radiator) and bought a 15" sealed Rythmik. The difference was literally night and day. I had the "wow" moment that Curtis mentioned.

BTW, there is basically no difference in SQ between the current 12" and 15" Rythmik models due to the design and servo architecture. The only reason I bought the 15" was to "future proof" my setup and because I've always wanted a 15" subwoofer.

You also asked about the "SE" difference. Curtis mentioned the gloss finish, but you also have the choice of cone/driver colors: either black or silver. I have the F15SE model to match my piano black Sierra-1s, and went with the standard black cone instead of the silver (it was back-ordered). I've seen the silver cone in a few setups and it looks great.

Upgrade subwoofer. Final answer.
    -Jacob

Yea i am leaning towards upgrading as my bonuses come in . Today buy the sub. In 3 month I'll get right and left towers thus moving Sieras nrt to surrounds. Next upgrade will be new big center speaker thus will sell my Sierra-1 center speaker and my last piece of the puzzle will be a new receiver.

Total cost after all is done, around $6,500. How good will that be?

I dunno my ported av12x sounds awesome... if you ask me. I've compared it against other highly regarded subs(ported) and I preferred it over the pb13u and vtf15h. There is little reason that a well built & designed ported sub within its limits couldn't hold up to a sealed sub....or better it...YMMV.

Just my 2 cents...

Ported subs definitely have their advantages, but in my experience, there are definitely different sound characteristics.
    -curtis