Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

Default Re: Sierra-1 NRT vs Towers. No comparison??? A friend got me thinking.

you guys really find a clear noticeable sound difference between the tower and Sierra-1 with the same tweeter? I remember comparing the Studio 60 to the studio 20s, I came away with that it didn't make that much of a difference and maybe towers were just needed for bigger spaces, then I heard the Seirra-1s in a large room and they had no problem. I should say that a sub was used when comparing but I spent some good time a/bing the studio 60 to the 20s from the same source, same movie scene and songs with all the same equipment and if I was blind folded I would have a really hard time picking them apart. You guys are finding a clear and noticeable difference between NrT Sierra-1s to the NrT towers? with a good sub in play you think you could easily pick them apart blind folded?

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
    you guys really find a clear noticeable sound difference between the tower and Sierra-1 with the same tweeter? I remember comparing the Studio 60 to the studio 20s, I came away with that it didn't make that much of a difference and maybe towers were just needed for bigger spaces, then I heard the Seirra-1s in a large room and they had no problem. I should say that a sub was used when comparing but I spent some good time a/bing the studio 60 to the 20s from the same source, same movie scene and songs with all the same equipment and if I was blind folded I would have a really hard time picking them apart. You guys are finding a clear and noticeable difference between NrT Sierra-1s to the NrT towers? with a good sub in play you think you could easily pick them apart blind folded?
    I compared my Energy RC 30’s being a 2.5 way design with my Sierra and they easily kept pace but did it better. The Towers have a dedicated mid-range and that alone to my ears easily distinguished them apart from the Sierra 1’s….having the ability to play louder at lower volumes and providing the separation of voices and sounds for the listener to discern is one advantage. Another one comes with the bass….the Towers have a more controlled or tactical approach whereas the Sierra 1 seem more punchy in presentation. I recall Dave mentioning the materials found in the Sierra 1 driver are more rigid which allows them to produce and preform the way they do.

IMO the Towers are better in those 2 facets blind folded or not….YMMV…of course.

Bill
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

You guys are finding a clear and noticeable difference between NrT Sierra-1s to the NrT towers? with a good sub in play you think you could easily pick them apart blind folded?
    The real question would be whether it is better to use monitor+sub instead of towers. Some people swear by the tunability of a movable sub.

Do not discount the difference the dedicated midrange makes.
    -curtis

If you have a smaller room, the Sierra-1 speakers will work fine.
    I loved mine, but traded up to Towers.because we really have a large space.

B.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Do not discount the difference the dedicated midrange makes.
    Curtis is correct. The midrange driver in the tower is specifically designed for midrange performance. It has much less mass and a considerably more advanced motor system than the woofer in the Sierra-1 (which is designed for both midrange and low end performance) The mids on the towers offer much more detail combined with better dispersion and a much faster transient response.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com