Thread: Sierra 1 vs SVS ultra

Default Sierra 1 vs SVS ultra

HI guys after searching for a long while I have finally narrowed down to these two speakers to start my first home theater system. Both of these lines have good reviews but I am confused which one to go with. Either Sierra 1 for 2 speakers and a center and then a sub. Or going with the SVS ultra bookshelves and with a sub and the center speaker. Any suggestions ? I am more interested in music quality..

Default Re: Sierra 1 vs SVS ultra

Quote Originally Posted by ag82 View Post
    HI guys after searching for a long while I have finally narrowed down to these two speakers to start my first home theater system. Both of these lines have good reviews but I am confused which one to go with. Either Sierra 1 for 2 speakers and a center and then a sub. Or going with the SVS ultra bookshelves and with a sub and the center speaker. Any suggestions ? I am more interested in music quality..
    Being that this is a website for Ascend, most folks here are likely to be biased that direction. Since the SVS line is relatively new to the scene, it's not too probable that many here have heard both side by side. I'm sure both are very good, either would do a fabulous job for what you want.

If you need a definitive answer to your question, the best way to find out which most suits your tastes would be to order a pair of each, audition them side by side, and keep your favorite, returning the other. There are some shipping costs you'd have to eat to do this, still, it would be better than making a choice you might regret later!

I can tell you from owning a pair of Sierra-1NRTs, that they are very neutral, very dynamic, and detail is off the charts good, which make them excellent for music, or movies.

Since I was going the home theater route, another aspect of the picture as a whole that made the choice easy for me was the Horizon center. How many manufacturers have a center that performs as well as their best towers? It's a game changer in a quality theater set-up.

Jay

In my incredibly unbiased and objective opinion the Sierras 1 would be the favourite over the SVS ultra bookshelves. With the Sierra 2's it would be no contest. I think they are in another league frankly, especially with the RAAL. The SVS bookshelves would dig deeper than the Sierra 2's, but in just about every other aspect the Sierra 2 would be heads and shoulders above. Also, with a sub, the bass advantage of the SVS bookshelf would be essentially taken away. The Sierra 2 will make it's appearance in a month or so, if you're willing to wait and pay a bit more. *Very* worth it, and much better value for the money imo!

Mark

I can vouch for the Sierra-1/NrT's as being an incredible performing bookshelf speaker. Since I have not heard the SVS Ultra at this point, all I can say is that you can be 100% sure that the Sierra-1, NrT & upcoming Sierra-2 are all unmatched values.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by markie View Post
    In my incredibly unbiased and objective opinion the Sierras 1 would be the favourite over the SVS ultra bookshelves. With the Sierra 2's it would be no contest. I think they are in another league frankly, especially with the RAAL. The SVS bookshelves would dig deeper than the Sierra 2's, but in just about every other aspect the Sierra 2 would be heads and shoulders above. Also, with a sub, the bass advantage of the SVS bookshelf would be essentially taken away. The Sierra 2 will make it's appearance in a month or so, if you're willing to wait and pay a bit more. *Very* worth it, and much better value for the money imo!

Mark
    Although I appreciate your enthusiasm, and agree the new Sierra-2s will be VERY good, I think stating heads, and shoulders better might be a stretch. The Sierra-1 and Sierra-1NRTs are already at the point where anything else can more realistically be considered an incremental increase.

Since no one but Dave has currently listened to the new speakers, it's certainly premature to be stating anything about how they sound.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill, but really !

Jay

You done gone and killed my buzz!
    R.I.P.
    My buzz will be vindicated however, hehe!

Mark

I'm sure it's in a thread somewhere, but somehow I missed the discussion about the Sierra 2. Can somebody describe the new speaker, please? Are there pictures available?

Daniel