Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Salk Songtower vs. Sierra Tower

Default Salk Songtower vs. Sierra Tower

Anybody heard both of these? I was curious how they stack up. They are a somewhat similar except the Salk is a 2-way and the Sierra was a 3-way. This was one reason why I decided to go with the Sierra. I know that this is the Ascend site, but I am sure we can be somewhat impartial about our opinions
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Default Re: Salk Songtower vs. Sierra Tower

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    Anybody heard both of these? I was curious how they stack up. They are a somewhat similar except the Salk is a 2-way and the Sierra was a 3-way. This was one reason why I decided to go with the Sierra. I know that this is the Ascend site, but I am sure we can be somewhat impartial about our opinions
    Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
    I think merrymaid is best qualified to answer that question.

Non-biased, meaning listeners that don't own anything from either brand, like the Sierra Tower better.

IMO, the Sierra Tower images better, more detailed midrange, and more dynamic.
    -curtis

I've heard both and like both. I own the Sierra Towers, but when I heard them, I didn't own either. Like Curtis, I thought the Sierra Towers imaged better, however, the Salk's aren't garbage by any means.

Also, the Salk community is pretty dedicated and there is lots of good info to be gleaned from Salk owners. If you are in the market for towers, you really should listen to both.

Oh, also, I assume we are talking about the Salk SongTowers.

Quote Originally Posted by raggededge View Post
    I've heard both and like both. I own the Sierra Towers, but when I heard them, I didn't own either. Like Curtis, I thought the Sierra Towers imaged better, however, the Salk's aren't garbage by any means.

Also, the Salk community is pretty dedicated and there is lots of good info to be gleaned from Salk owners. If you are in the market for towers, you really should listen to both.
    The Salks are definitely not garbage, and the Salk community is definitely very supportive. I do believe they have a bit of a different mindset, but I believe that has a lot to do with the business model.

Quote Originally Posted by raggededge View Post
    Oh, also, I assume we are talking about the Salk SongTowers.
    Yep...it's in the thread tittle.
    -curtis

I have zero listening experience with the Salks, but I did consider the bookshelves before choosing Ascend. Regarding your question, there are objective differences between the Sierra Towers and the SongTowers, such as efficiency, components, cabinet construction, and implementation. Salk Sound also offers a wider range of products than Ascend.

I agree with Curtis's assessment of differing mindset, based on my perceptions of customer feedback from both camps. One of these days I'd love to audition a pair at a GTG or a friend's house just for pure curiosity.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I think merrymaid is best qualified to answer that question.
    Sure, throw me out under the bus

On a serious note, I have on several occasions compared my Towers (with both Nrt and raal tweeters) to the Songtowers with the LCY ribbon tweeters. Much of this has been documented over in the AVS forums under our GTG thread. The salks are great speakers ( I have heard several other Salk model lines as well). Are there differences, yes. Which will you prefer? That is your choice. Audition in your home if possible!

I like my ascends for many reasons, after hearing both, I do not regret my decision at all. If I were to summerize the differences briefly, it would be in the bass and midrange mostly. The highs are very similar (both using ribbons and all).

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Nothin' but love for ya. I have to admit I did see that one coming...

Much of this has been documented over in the AVS forums under our GTG thread.
    I was going to mention this, but thought better of it. I figured you should be the one to bring it up if necessary.

@ parimento,

Salk offers a 30-day in-home trial on many of their products. I recommend you give them a try if you are really serious. If it's just curiosity, I recommend you check out the Salk threads at AVS and elsewhere. Salk has a forum, but it does not appear to be active. The Audio Circle forum requires registration to view.
    -Jacob

@merrymaid...after listening to both versions (RAAL and dome) of the Sierra Towers, which version did you choose and why?

On a serious note, I have on several occasions compared my Towers (with both Nrt and raal tweeters) to the Songtowers with the LCY ribbon tweeters. Much of this has been documented over in the AVS forums under our GTG thread. The salks are great speakers ( I have heard several other Salk model lines as well). Are there differences, yes. Which will you prefer? That is your choice. Audition in your home if possible!

I like my ascends for many reasons, after hearing both, I do not regret my decision at all. If I were to summerize the differences briefly, it would be in the bass and midrange mostly. The highs are very similar (both using ribbons and all).

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    @merrymaid...after listening to both versions (RAAL and dome) of the Sierra Towers, which version did you choose and why?
    I kept the RAAL version. Reason being, they portray the top end in a more realistic\natural way without a hint of sibilance. The domes are no slouch but the RAALs are just simply better...and Dave's study and data back up my findings as well.
    On a side note, I didn't compare the two side by side.