Thread: 170 or 340 Finish options to match Sierra Towers

Default 170 or 340 Finish options to match Sierra Towers

I'm currently saving up some funds for Towers across the front and either 170s or possibly 340s for surrounds. For the towers and center tower I'm undecided between dark cherry or espresso. Either way I go how do I get the surrounds to look like a matching set from a visual perspective? It must be difficult to match a bamboo grain to MDF so what does everyone do to make everything blend visually and appear as a matched set? Are there any finishes for the 170s that would blend well with either dark cherry or espresso? Yeah, black blends with everything but I'm looking for a better match - any options?

Default Re: 170 or 340 Finish options to match Sierra Towers

Get the unfinished cabinets and have a local wood worker veneer them to match?

What phipp said may be your only option on matching the finish the 170's or 340's to the Sierra's. It may not hurt to contact Dave directly and see what can be done, though it may be a little pricey.

Thanks guys. I'm a little surprised there aren't any "ready made" matching options as the 170s seem like a natural option for surrounds for systems based on the sierra bookshelves or towers for fronts but I guess not. The more I think about it though I suppose when you're starting with bamboo on one and MDF on the other you're never going to match grain. My next thought is not necessarily matching but I'd still want a nicer finish on the 170s. I'm now wondering if I could get a gloss black or even piano black. I'd prefer to not have to finish them myself.

From this page at the bottom http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...m170finop.html

"* Custom finished cabinets are a special order and will require additional fees and at least 2 weeks processing time. These are very high quality hand painted automotive-grade finishes that are durable and easy to maintain. Please call or email us for pricing and additional information. Other colors are available."

I bet if you call you get get piano gloss black as a finish. Just going to cost more money

Quote Originally Posted by mchrisbrown View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm a little surprised there aren't any "ready made" matching options as the 170s seem like a natural option for surrounds for systems based on the sierra bookshelves or towers for fronts but I guess not. The more I think about it though I suppose when you're starting with bamboo on one and MDF on the other you're never going to match grain. My next thought is not necessarily matching but I'd still want a nicer finish on the 170s. I'm now wondering if I could get a gloss black or even piano black. I'd prefer to not have to finish them myself.
    You are correct -- because the 340's/170's/200's are made from MDF, it is impossible to match the finish of the Sierra-1/Sierra Towers due to being made from bamboo. We could wrap the MDF in a bamboo veneer, but at this price -- might as well go with a pair of Sierra-1 and get a better finish and better performance.

While I know it is hard to imagine, in my experience -- most consumers these days prefer to go with black matte for the rear speakers as they are very subtle and mostly go unnoticed.

Give us a call if you would like to discuss other options.

Thanks!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com