Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 340's a good pick?

Default Re: 340's a good pick?

Quote Originally Posted by phipp01 View Post
    The PM was just Brian from Ascend giving me his thoughts on the setup Im looking at. I will most likely like a neutral speaker so long as they are not to "bright/harsh". Brian also recommended the stands (which I planned on getting) filled with sand to mass load them.
    Phipp, I do not find my 340's to sound niether bright or harsh, they have a well braced and damped cabinet. These speakers grow on you and you acquire a taste of the Ascend sound which to my ears is in a different class of other speakers at this price point. At $560 a pair you won't find a better speaker in my opinion. They continue to this day to amaze me with good source material and used in a HT setup with decent sub you can not go wrong. The only negative I have with the 340's is the disease to move up to the ST's which I hope to do soon. The 340's LCR and 170's surrounds=no regrets.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    I have never thought of the 340's as being thin even from the very begining of hearing them. When you say warm does this mean colored and not neutral, and how is warmth associated with thin? Just curious.
    Jeff
    It really depends on your interpretation of "warm". Some think of it as lack of treble, others thing of it as accentuated mid/mid-bass. Yes, definitely colored.

I also don't think any Ascend speaker is thin.
    -curtis

I prefer a "warm" sounding speaker.
    How would you define "warm"? What would you describe as the opposite of "warm"?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It really depends on your interpretation of "warm". Some think of it as lack of treble, others thing of it as accentuated mid/mid-bass. Yes, definitely colored.

If it's a combination of lacking upper extension while also having bloated bass, then it sounds like its probably time for a new set of speakers, lol.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Thank you Curtis.

Now I loved the sound of the Rockets and was wondering how these two systems compared to each other.
    Just wondering why you're not thinking of going back to the Rockets. I don't think the money is that far apart.

Are you just interested in trying something new or was there something you think the 340's would offer that the Rockets don't?

I have not heard the Rockets so I can't compare. I can list some positives about the 340's. Ascend is indeed a great company to deal with and they stand by their products. I read the Rockets are a little hard to drive and one reviewer felt that external amplificatoin was needed if you watched movies near reference level. The 340's are easy to drive and are relatively efficient. The 340's are neutral which I consider a positive, but folks coming from speakers with a pronounced mid bass hump may not think so. My 340's are in a home theater so I cross over to the sub @80hz. I can't speak much about the low end since I don't recall ever hearing them without it.

I just got a copy of the Fillmore East Allman Brothers album on multichannel SACD. I am very familiar with this album, I bought it when it was first released. "Done Somebody Wrong" starts out with a guitar solo by Duane with rhythm staccato accents. With the 340's and the SACD, I could hear the cymbal details that I've never heard before. Feed them good source material and they really sound great.

Best of luck on your decision. If you decide to audition them, I suggest you spend at least a week before coming to a conclusion if you're a fan of "warm" speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    Just wondering why you're not thinking of going back to the Rockets. I don't think the money is that far apart.

Are you just interested in trying something new or was there something you think the 340's would offer that the Rockets don't?

I have not heard the Rockets so I can't compare. I can list some positives about the 340's. Ascend is indeed a great company to deal with and they stand by their products. I read the Rockets are a little hard to drive and one reviewer felt that external amplificatoin was needed if you watched movies near reference level. The 340's are easy to drive and are relatively efficient. The 340's are neutral which I consider a positive, but folks coming from speakers with a pronounced mid bass hump may not think so. My 340's are in a home theater so I cross over to the sub @80hz. I can't speak much about the low end since I don't recall ever hearing them without it.

I just got a copy of the Fillmore East Allman Brothers album on multichannel SACD. I am very familiar with this album, I bought it when it was first released. "Done Somebody Wrong" starts out with a guitar solo by Duane with rhythm staccato accents. With the 340's and the SACD, I could hear the cymbal details that I've never heard before. Feed them good source material and they really sound great.

Best of luck on your decision. If you decide to audition them, I suggest you spend at least a week before coming to a conclusion if you're a fan of "warm" speakers.
    +1 my friend

The company that was making the Rockets is out of business so as far as I know you can't buy these anymore.

Yeah which is why I mentioned the Sierras. The Sierras are a touch laid back and have deeper bass, which give them a 'fuller sound' as some would say... So in some ways they're closer to warm speakers than the 340SE... They're also more detailed & better imaging...

To me, warmth speaker interpretation has always associated with me on the overall midrange.
    For example, my old altec are warmer sounding then sieera 1 though the sierra digs deeper and altecs has much more treble weight.

Well AV666 went out of business and the owner ended up in jail for fraud. If I could find some I would go back to them. I would go back to the 760's though not the 450's. Those never come up for sale. Found one pair on ebay for 1250 which is about 650 too much LOL. They sold new for $800 all the time. Plus if anything happens to them finding parts is a nightmare.

Also I would like to try something new. I think when/if I buy them I would probably give them 2 weeks of listening. I will give them a proper workout. The neighbors might not appreciate it it but if they complain Ill invite them over for a movie LOL.