Thread: Sierra-1 NrT measurements and placement observations (off-axis). Maybe discovery?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra-1 NrT measurements and placement observations (off-axis). Maybe discovery?

Ok, so I've done a few measurements on the Sierra-1 and confirmed a few things: The treble is slightly 'hot' about 10khz (as per Ascend measurements in this thread) and for some reason, as with it seems all 3 other speakes I have on hand, around 300hz to 2.25khz seems a bit lower... maybe it's my mic or measurement artifacts (cancellation from floor?), but anyway, after a bit of placement trial and error, the Sierras ended with very slight toe in, which reduces a little the high end and seems to give the more balanced results.

I had noticed a trend with speaker designs to have speakers with the front baffle in angle, for example, if the speaker points left, a regular baffle would be: | and the angle I'm talking about would be like / where the tweeter is further from the listener than the woofer, tweeter pointing upwards (but less angled). So last night I thought why not try it! So I simply angled up the speakers by putting foam under the front, toed in a little bit more towards me to compensate, listened maybe 5 minutes and it didn't sound bad at all!

So I did a few measurements, and with my really modest measuring gear, the measurements really don't look bad at all, seemed to even the FR a little, looks even better than straight on or even slightly better than off axis sideways! Which is really puzzling... (floor reflections reduced from angle?) So I'm wondering whether it's just due to measurements artifacts, or if this could actually be a good way to position the Sierra NrTs? Anyhow, I guess I'll try it for a bit and try to see if it's really a good idea, but this seems promising! Don't people angle up baffles to help with the time coherency?

Thoughts? Anyone else feels like exploring this?

I think it might not be a good idea to post in room measurements because of poor gear and so 'flawed' measurements which might just give false ideas? They're just pink noise I think it was, Behringer's DEQ2496's RTA & ECM8000 measurement mic, which I'm noticing now looking at the model number seems to add a slight (1dB) 'boost' from 3-20khz...
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 08-10-2012 at 03:26 PM.