Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horizon in LCR format

Default Horizon in LCR format

Has anyone went with the horizon in LCR configuration because of limitation of moving the towers far enough from the wall because of room configuration? I might be considering using all horizon because of the front port of the horizon vs rear with the tower and wanted to get some opinions from others who have done it. I remember reading a post from Dave about horizon as a LCR setup in the horizon thread and it would be good for HT. Which would be better as surrounds in this setup, 170 or 200? Also I would consider RAAL upgrade for center only to try and get the best dialogue as possible.

Default Re: Horizon in LCR format

From what I've read, the 170's are better sounding than the 200's but the 200's might be easier to mount on a wall. I use 200's with Sierra's and they sound great. Are you going to cross the Fronts over to a sub? Wall proximity is less of an issue when the speakers aren't playing low frequencies. But I would still guess that the Horizon is the best option. IMO.

Yes I am looking at getting the FV15HP for the sub and setting a crossover. I think the towers would be unrealistic because It would make the room awkward with them pulled so far back from the wall, even a foot would not be ideal. I am wish I had a dedicated room for HT but for now I have to deal with what my house has to offer, and that is my family room.

Quote Originally Posted by atcjeep View Post
    Which would be better as surrounds in this setup, 170 or 200? Also I would consider RAAL upgrade for center only to try and get the best dialogue as possible.
    I think either would do fine, it's a matter of your room configuration. I'm running a 7.1 setup in my home theater and I'm using 170's for side surrounds flown from the ceiling and 200's for back surrounds, also flown, but close to the back wall. Both integrate seamlessly with my 340 fronts. Neither has any problem keeping up. I just upgraded to a new SACD player with HDMI out and was auditioning it with the multichannel SACD of "Dark Side of the Moon". At the beginning of "Time" the clocks are placed throughout the room. Also, the rototoms in the drum solo are spread around. They sound deep and full in the surrounds.

From what I've read, the RAAL upgrade is certainly worth it. I'd be curious, though, if it adds anything to dialog clearness.

Oh boy!!! You guys are talking my lingo with the Horizon LCR. I think the setup would be so cool and dispersion patterns so awesome that this type of setup would be the ultimate for HT. I would venture to say that the appearance of said setup would be shocking and completely what I want. I want to not only provide the high resolution/reference level experience but I will be honest, the looks of a aggressively refined setup is so appealing to me. For me, when I experience a "THX" setup its also the looks of the enclosures that also push my buttons

Quote Originally Posted by DougMac View Post
    I think either would do fine, it's a matter of your room configuration. I'm running a 7.1 setup in my home theater and I'm using 170's for side surrounds flown from the ceiling and 200's for back surrounds, also flown, but close to the back wall. Both integrate seamlessly with my 340 fronts. Neither has any problem keeping up. I just upgraded to a new SACD player with HDMI out and was auditioning it with the multichannel SACD of "Dark Side of the Moon". At the beginning of "Time" the clocks are placed throughout the room. Also, the rototoms in the drum solo are spread around. They sound deep and full in the surrounds.

From what I've read, the RAAL upgrade is certainly worth it. I'd be curious, though, if it adds anything to dialog clearness.
    I asked this very question prior to ordering my horizon and the simple answer given to me was..."the RAAL should produce a more lifelike or natural presentation with vocals making them sound even smoother"....so yeah they'll help with dialog clarity...

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I asked this very question prior to ordering my horizon and the simple answer given to me was..."the RAAL should produce a more lifelike or natural presentation with vocals making them sound even smoother"....so yeah they'll help with dialog clarity...
    I don't really read that as it makes dialog clarity better. I guess there are different ways to interpret it.

An NrT based Horizon certainly has great vocal clarity.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    I don't really read that as it makes dialog clarity better. I guess there are different ways to interpret it.

An NrT based Horizon certainly has great vocal clarity.
    Out of curiosity, what portion of the human vocal range is sent through the Towers/Horizons mid driver versus the tweeter?

Curtis.....how was your trip? Im super jealous

Quote Originally Posted by merrymaid520 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what portion of the human vocal range is sent through the Towers/Horizons mid driver versus the tweeter?

Curtis.....how was your trip? Im super jealous
    Human voices are roughly in the range of 80 Hz to 1100 Hz, so I would imagine the tweeter does get some information do to the crossover slope. I am guessing the crossover point is around 1800hz or so.

Had a great time in Maui....I want to take my Sierra-1's and go back!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Human voices are roughly in the range of 80 Hz to 1100 Hz, so I would imagine the tweeter does get some information do to the crossover slope. I am guessing the crossover point is around 1800hz or so.

Had a great time in Maui....I want to take my Sierra-1's and go back!
    So based on that info, the RAAL theoretically would have minimal impact at best on human vocals? I would imagine the mid driver handles the majority of this range. Maybe this will help Doug.

Glad to hear it! If you went back with your speakers, we may never hear from you again