Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to Dave..passive sub ?

Default to Dave..passive sub ?

I was wondering....the bass extension is so close to complete would a passive radiator such as a Seas sp18r or a ScanSpeak 23w/0-00-02 added to the towers/center would either add the finishing touch or not instead of the port?

Default Re: to Dave..passive sub ?

Using a passive radiator instead of a port would not effectively give deeper extension.

The frequency response of a passive radiator will be similar to that of a ported cabinet, with two exceptions. The system low frequency roll-off in a passive radiator design will be slightly steeper, and will have a notch (dip) in frequency response due to the Vas (compliance, or stiffness of the speaker cone) of the passive radiator. The goal in designing a passive radiator is to adjust the tuning so that this notch is below audible levels.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_radiator_(speaker)
    -curtis

Well..ok..noted..thanks.

Ok how about this for a thought.... The sierras 1s need stands. How about making them functional with a subwoofer/crossover either powered or unpowered. Giving people with limited room for a separate sub enclosure the bottom end option.

Then why not just build a floorstander?

I wouldn't want a subwoofer built into the stands. Standalone subwoofers allow for better/proper placement in the room for those frequencies.
    -curtis

I've read about the Ushers. They don't extend low enough for thr effort. A florstander is is the best option. I have the gun loaded for the towers/raal very shortly. I was just stating it for an option for those with the books already. I also understand that the towers have a better mid section vs the books. But you can't improve that section without changing the entire design. I was merely stating it for those who have limited space and don't want to completly upgeade.

While I'm at it. Opinions on a svs or rythmic for a sub.

Equipment to date...
    Oppo bdp 95
    Marantz av7005
    Emotiva xpr 5

Soon..
    Sierra towers/raal
    sierra center/raal

I just remember the old days where you didn't need a sub because the big ass towers in a 2.0 system coverd it all..I have a pair of polk sda 1c's. That need to be rebuilt. But they were amazing at there best.

Quote Originally Posted by dew30296 View Post
    While I'm at it. Opinions on a svs or rythmic for a sub.
    For sound quality, Rythmik.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by dew30296 View Post
    I just remember the old days where you didn't need a sub because the big ass towers in a 2.0 system coverd it all..I have a pair of polk sda 1c's. That need to be rebuilt. But they were amazing at there best.
    The bass from those towers, still would not compare to what is available with today's subwoofers.

Many music recording studios now record "two-channel" with a sub nowadays.
    -curtis