Thread: KEF Reference Series

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default KEF Reference Series

I have never heard a KEF speaker in real life, but was always intrigued by the coaxial driver arrangement. Has anyone heard them, and if so, what were your impressions??

Default Re: KEF Reference Series

Never heard those kef, but coexial speakers have out for long time.

I currently have the Soundfield Monitor 1 that is one tour. It uses a KEF coaxial. I took it to an Ascend owner's house that has the towers (nrt) two weekends ago. I am now swapping the SAM1 and my 340SE out about every 2 minutes into each song.

It is easier to describe the difference compared to the Towers than it is with my 340SE. It bugged me so much at home that i ended up taking windowed measurements at 0, 30, and 45 degrees of the three sets of speakers in the room at 1 meter.

Kwarny, can you expand on what differences you heard? Also, what bugged you?

Thanks,
    Sheep

sounds like those sma1 may sound similar to the 340?
    The sm1 has some advantage with its active woofer.

I plan on having a blind listening test with my gf tonight to see if she notices anything. Some at the recent Kansas City speaker shootout thingy noticed something similar to what I heard with the SAM1 but another was praising it for this trait. Him and I have had different impressions on this hearing aspect the last two weekends (with almost every speaker) listening so perhaps we envision this aspect completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by parimento1 View Post
    I have never heard a KEF speaker in real life, but was always intrigued by the coaxial driver arrangement. Has anyone heard them, and if so, what were your impressions??
    I heard the Muon and some of the Reference series. I thought the Muon was disappointing. The Reference 207/2 for its price it was definitely not bad, definitely worth a listen if you're looking to purchase some speakers in the 20000$ price range, they sound quite nice!

The Muon I did not get though... Ok, it was at a show, but the sound just wasn't that great for 150000$... I'd much rather take a pair of 207/2 and 130000$ in spare change...

Besides that I had heard the older Q and XQ I think it was, the Q wasn't very good and I liked the XQ but it was $$$.
    Last edited by GirgleMirt; 08-07-2012 at 05:25 PM.