Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Default Re: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

I too use EAC and then I use MP3Tag to get the album art, etc. I know is has MP3 in the title but it works just fine with FLAC files. I like to tweak my own tags using MP3Tag. I don't want my music showing up in several places so I get rid of "composers" and a few other things and make sure Album Artist and AlbumArtist have the same thing, i.e. Willie Nelson and Willie Nelson as opposed to Willie Nelson and Nelson, Willie as those will show up twice if you are streaming as I am and using iPeng on my iPad and iPod to control Logitech Touch. I also installed the "unsupported" plugin on my Touch and it will stream 192K flac files as the standard Touch only supports up to 96K.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Guys,

I have been using dBpoweramp and ripping to FLAC onto a Synology NAS. This combo has so far proven to work exceptionally well as Synology offers their own iOS apps so playing back FLACs on the iPhone is not a problem, note that they are transcoded so sound quality is not ideal but certainly good enough for mobile devices.

Using the dBpoweramp batch converter, I also convert all the FLACs into high bitrate MP3's so the family can easily upload the files onto any of our various mobile devices and are also available through the Synology DLNA media server.

It seems wasteful to store (2) copies of each audio track, an FLAC and an MP3 but after much trial and error, this has proven to be the best solution so that I can have my high quality audio available while also making it simple for my wife and kids to listen to what they want and also upload to their devices without bugging me and without using the more complicated Synology apps

If anyone is considering a NAS, look no further than Synology, well worth it and by far the best NAS I have owned thus far.
    +1 on Synology. I have an older DS207+ and have recently added a DS713+, they are excellent products.

Well, I downloaded dBpoweramp yesterday and it is light years better than VLC. When I downloaded the latest version of VLC, they had dramatically scaled back audio ripping, I guess to focus on video.

dBpoweramp is very robust and I am now a believer.

The choice of compression level in FLAC isn't usually critical. It's basically a flag that indicates to the compressor how many of it's advanced algorithmic tricks and how much of your computational power you'd like it to use.

There are a few real world considerations. Though you probably have plenty of CPU horsepower available, higher compression levels save very little space relative to lower levels. This is especially true at the higher levels. You'll only net very small gains above level 3, and almost none above 5. The bigger consideration is hardware player compatibility. Some players won't support decompression of the highest compression levels. Portables, auto head units and networked media players are your likely culprits here. And there probably isn't anything you can do to properly patch the player's firmware.

Upshot is that the default of 5 is pretty well chosen and likely to fit the needs of most users of the FLAC encoder.

My personal choice of ripper is EAC. First pass to FLAC for the home library. Subsequent scripting of LAME encoder to produce portable-friendly MP3s for the mobile library. Tag & Rename for tagging. Lossless use of ReplayGain is awesome if you like to listen on Shuffle.

The beauty of lossless encoding is that you can rip once and be done with it. Make two good backups and keep one offsite. Any future format can be encoded from those lossless files.