Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Default Re: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

the new 10X series has their own version...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10.
    -curtis

You guys were talking about the Synology NAS. If you are a New Egg email subscriber you might already know this, but they are offering 15% off on some of the units right now if you're in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfin View Post
    You guys were talking about the Synology NAS. If you are a New Egg email subscriber you might already know this, but they are offering 15% off on some of the units right now if you're in the market.
    ooooohhhh... Such a great product, now this has me thinking about a dedicated one here at the office... So much easier than having to continually clean up and reorganize CD's after demo's. We had a ribbon tower demo today with a nice couple a few hours ago.

Any recommendations on what to use to rip DVD's?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

David, you mention using dBpoweramp batch converter to create your mp3 files. That separate step isn't necessary as dBpoweramp can create both your flac and mp3 files in one step after you click on the "Rip" button. And each file can be placed automatically into whichever folder/subfolder you wish, including your NAS. In the bottom left of the program window select the dropdown "Rip To" button and select "Multi Encoder". Then in the window to the right add in Flac and mp3, then set your desired settings.

A unique option with their flac encoder is that you can select 'Losseless Uncompressed' for the flac compression option. Some audiophiles file no compression is better than any compression, so this program does give you that option. Since I spent MANY hours ripping my CD's, I saved all to uncompressed flac just because HD space is available, it does no harm, and I don't intend to re-rip ever again!
    TV: LG 77OLEDC9 A/V Receiver: Anthem MRX 740
    Sources: Pana DP-UB9000, Zidoo Z9X, Google CCwGTV, ROON
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22
    Media Room (1,500 sq ft, 13ft Wx14.5ft Lx8ft H)

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Guys,

You all know a lot more about this than I do... I need to rip a lot of CD's to FLAC and these need to be of the highest quality. Any recommendations as to what I should use (windows PC)? I don't mind paying a few bucks...

Also, are FLAC files compatible with iTunes?

Thanks in advance!
    I use http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/c...0/117839/58441 wyre4sound music server. It has option to mirror FLAC to AIFF / AAC / MP3 during CD/DVD ripping process. And it plays FLAC and AAC/AIFF! Very convenient. Also I have iPeng iOS application which is a remote desktop to this music server - so no big compromise for playing music as one can have with AirPlay / iTunes
    Last edited by apastron; 11-10-2012 at 05:40 AM.

And, when creating your flac archive files make certain that the ripper is not set to a fast, burst ripping mode. That would defeat the main purpose of using both dBpoweramp or EAC ripper, as both are designed to re-read the bits multiple times to attempt to recover info that was not read on the first reading pass. But, both programs must be set for secure reads.

In dBpoweramp ripper click on the Options icon at the top of the program window. Do NOT have Burst selected, but use Secure. Then go into "Secure Settings" to customize. I set mine to: limit drive speed to a lower speed (to lesson misread chances), enabled ultrasecure, limit to 4 ultra secure passes. And further down I abort track after 100 unrecoverable frames. Some tracks may show up with thousands of errors and the program could sit for over an hour attempting to recover them. Many times I find that just selecting the individual track again for a re-rip will be successful. Otherwise I eject and put the disc into my 2nd optical drive, and frequently that drive will rip it without errors, which is what we are trying to accomplish.
    TV: LG 77OLEDC9 A/V Receiver: Anthem MRX 740
    Sources: Pana DP-UB9000, Zidoo Z9X, Google CCwGTV, ROON
    Stereo: Allo Digione Sig/USBridge Sig> Denafrips Ares II DAC> Kinki Studio EX-M1+ amp (front mains H/T bypass)
    Speakers: Front: Ascend ELX RAAL Towers, Sierra-2EXV2 center, Sides: Paradigm In-Walls CS-60SQ-SM, Subwoofer: two Rythmik L22
    Media Room (1,500 sq ft, 13ft Wx14.5ft Lx8ft H)

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    David, you mention using dBpoweramp batch converter to create your mp3 files. That separate step isn't necessary as dBpoweramp can create both your flac and mp3 files in one step after you click on the "Rip" button. And each file can be placed automatically into whichever folder/subfolder you wish, including your NAS. In the bottom left of the program window select the dropdown "Rip To" button and select "Multi Encoder". Then in the window to the right add in Flac and mp3, then set your desired settings.
    Yes, you are 100% correct... However, I have tried both methods and I much prefer ripping directly to FLAC (and only FLAC) and then using the batch converter to also rip each FLAC to MP3. There are (2) reasons for this.

1. When ripping to one file format, dBpoweramp uses multiple processors and on my quad core Intel laptop, I get 8 threads all processing at the same time. FLAC rips are very fast. When I rip to FLAC and MP3 at the same time, at least on my PC, I only get a single thread and the rip takes nearly 4-8 times longer. On a weekend afternoon, I then set the batch converter up to re-rip the FLAC files to MP3. It typically takes an entire afternoon depending on how many need to be ripped but I simply set it and leave it... Works beautifully.

2. I also found that when ripping to 2 or more formats at the same time, the software automatically overwrites any previous rips without prompting. I find this to be extremely annoying as I have many duplicate and even triplicate copies of some CD's and it is a waste of time and resources to re-rip the same CD twice or possibly even three times. When set to rip FLAC only, the software will prompt the user if they wish to overwrite previous files.

Quote Originally Posted by gln2 View Post
    A unique option with their flac encoder is that you can select 'Losseless Uncompressed' for the flac compression option. Some audiophiles file no compression is better than any compression, so this program does give you that option. Since I spent MANY hours ripping my CD's, I saved all to uncompressed flac just because HD space is available, it does no harm, and I don't intend to re-rip ever again!
    I have tried both, compressed and uncompressed and I was not able to detect any differences. Since I plan on streaming these files, the shorter file length of compressed is useful.

Thanks again!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    ooooohhhh... Such a great product, now this has me thinking about a dedicated one here at the office... So much easier than having to continually clean up and reorganize CD's after demo's. We had a ribbon tower demo today with a nice couple a few hours ago.

Any recommendations on what to use to rip DVD's?
    DVD Shrink 3.2.. It's a freebie. The last version is very old, but works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
    DVD Shrink 3.2.. It's a freebie. The last version is very old, but works very well.
    Dvdshrink is great but it's outdated and won't remove any copy protection. Try dvdfab decrypter

I've had great success with ImgBurn, it's free and current.