Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Default Re: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Hi Guys,

I have been using dBpoweramp and ripping to FLAC onto a Synology NAS. This combo has so far proven to work exceptionally well as Synology offers their own iOS apps so playing back FLACs on the iPhone is not a problem, note that they are transcoded so sound quality is not ideal but certainly good enough for mobile devices.

Using the dBpoweramp batch converter, I also convert all the FLACs into high bitrate MP3's so the family can easily upload the files onto any of our various mobile devices and are also available through the Synology DLNA media server.

It seems wasteful to store (2) copies of each audio track, an FLAC and an MP3 but after much trial and error, this has proven to be the best solution so that I can have my high quality audio available while also making it simple for my wife and kids to listen to what they want and also upload to their devices without bugging me and without using the more complicated Synology apps

If anyone is considering a NAS, look no further than Synology, well worth it and by far the best NAS I have owned thus far.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Synology makes good stuff (I am going to get one when I need to expand my storage), and I have been very happy with dBPoweramp this past year after making the switch from EAC. While EAC is free, dBPoweramp is easier.

Dave, is this setup in the shop or home? Have you thought about a Sonos or Squeezebox type device to playback the FLAC files natively in the demo room or home?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Synology makes good stuff (I am going to get one when I need to expand my storage), and I have been very happy with dBPoweramp this past year after making the switch from EAC. While EAC is free, dBPoweramp is easier.

Dave, is this setup in the shop or home? Have you thought about a Sonos or Squeezebox type device to playback the FLAC files natively in the demo room or home?
    Curtis,

Definitely go with Synology. This is my 3rd NAS and there is simply no comparison -- this is one product that has been a pleasure to use and is worth the added expense compared to others.

I am using this NAS at my home -- still haven't ripped all of my CD's (well over 1000). I have an OPPO BDP-93 that I have finally setup at the office and this will decode FLAC files without a problem (no transcoding). Combined with the Synology media server software - there is no need for a squeezebox or sonus device. My plan is to use the "cloud" service of the Synology combined with the wifi service of the Oppo to stream the FLAC files from the Synology at my home to the OPPO at the office (and to any other device I want that is connected to the internet). The NAS we have at the office (NetGear) is a poor media server and is best dedicated for backup purposes.

If this does not work as planned, I will purchase another Synology (1512+) for the office and copy the files from one NAS to the other, once I finish ripping all of them. Lately though it seems that I am acquiring CD's at a faster rate than I am ripping them

dBpoweramp is fantastic and worth much more than the $36 -- thanks for the recommendation!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Ahh! You got BDP-93! Great! I am looking at upgrading to the new BDP-103 if it handles files off the NAS easily, with a nice UI. Then I get simplify my system more and get rid of the Sonos (which I love because of the UI).

With dBPoweramp, you could pay the kids to rip the CDs for you...25 cents a disc.
    -curtis

Ahh! You got BDP-93! Great! I am looking at upgrading to the new BDP-103 if it handles files off the NAS easily, with a nice UI. Then I get simplify my system more and get rid of the Sonos (which I love because of the UI).
    OPPO already replaced the 93? Figures, I have had my 93 sitting around in a box for about 4 months. My Samsung BD died (good picture but junk) so the 93 has taken its place. What additional features does the 103 offer?

With dBPoweramp, you could pay the kids to rip the CDs for you...25 cents a disc.
    Ha -- with the attention span of my kids, they would last for one possibly even two discs before they quit.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    OPPO already replaced the 93? Figures, I have had my 93 sitting around in a box for about 4 months. My Samsung BD died (good picture but junk) so the 93 has taken its place. What additional features does the 103 offer?
    Not exactly sure. I have not really researched it because I don't want to be tempted to spend the money.

Ha -- with the attention span of my kids, they would last for one possibly even two discs before they quit.
    LOL!
    -curtis

I'm actually looking for a new Bluray player and have done a little research on the 103 vs 93. Here are some things I have learned...

Some of the upgrades are no big deal, or at least won't be for a while, such as 2D -> 3D conversion and 4K upscaling. Most 3D TVs can convert 2D content to 3D by themselves, but this is mostly a gimmick and can look funky IMO. 4K TV's won't be affordable for at least 2-3 years. There are currently 2 4K TV's available: an 84" from Sony and an 84" from LG, and the prices are $25,000 and $20,000 respectively. Nearly all current receivers can also handle 4K upscaling.

Other changes include 2 HDMI outputs and 2 HDMI inputs. The inputs are there if you want to connect, say, a cable set-top box and have the Oppo handle the video/audio processing, rather than the set-top box, receiver, or TV handling the processing. As for outputs, you can connect 1 straight to your display, and 1 to your receiver for just audio, if say you have a 3D display, but not a 3D compatible receiver.

Also, there's a dual-core processor on the new models, so faster startup/shutdown, loading, and navigation. Updated Netflix app. Mobile high-definition link for viewing videos from smartphones. And no analog video support.

If you don't care about any of that stuff, you're good so far.

Lastly, the new players are said to have better video processing and an improved DAC. It seems questionable if one would actually notice a difference in video quality, especially in any display smaller than 60" and depending on how far you sit. Concerning the improved DAC, Oppo had this to say in an interview, "The new design has a warmer, more open and lively sound comparing to the BDP-93. This is achieved by a novel configuration of the DAC chip and a new analog buffer and filter stage following the DAC output."

There are probably other changes, but those seem to be the main ones. I still don't know which player I'll end up upgrading to from my cheapo 4yr old Sony. It's not my top priority, that would be new speakers

Not exactly sure. I have not really researched it because I don't want to be tempted to spend the money.
    I can't face the temptation alone:

http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-1...rom-the-bdp-93

Note, this list is unofficial and not sponsored by Oppo Digital.

Uh oh...getting a new Oppo is getting more tempting!!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.oppo.oremote

Also confirmed is an iOS app in development.
    -curtis

People still use iPhones? =P

The android version is already available, no word on windows version yet.