Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Default Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

Hi Guys,

You all know a lot more about this than I do... I need to rip a lot of CD's to FLAC and these need to be of the highest quality. Any recommendations as to what I should use (windows PC)? I don't mind paying a few bucks...

Also, are FLAC files compatible with iTunes?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: Need recommendation for FLAC ripper

I've always used EAC, works great: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ No idea about iTune's flac compatibility...

It's very nice of you to offer payment for this advice, I could always use a few extra bucks, I believe you have my Paypal, I'll let you impress me with the amount!

FLAC is NOT compatible with iTunes.

I used to use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC. It is excellent, but I have recently switched to dBPoweramp.

dBPoweramp has more features, the big one for me being it automatically gets album art. I also think it is easier to use, but it does cost $38 as opposed to EAC being free.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    -curtis

Every rip EAC asks me if I want to search for lyrics and album cover, I keep answering no, but I guess answering yes would be as easy... Maybe I should include the cover... No idea how it would be useful, but it costs about the same thing... So the last version supports it, it probably can be set to automatically d/l it every time...

Quote Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post
    I've always used EAC, works great: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ No idea about iTune's flac compatibility...

It's very nice of you to offer payment for this advice, I could always use a few extra bucks, I believe you have my Paypal, I'll let you impress me with the amount!
    LOL... check is in the mail

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    FLAC is NOT compatible with iTunes.

I used to use EAC to rip my CDs to FLAC. It is excellent, but I have recently switched to dBPoweramp.

dBPoweramp has more features, the big one for me being it automatically gets album art. I also think it is easier to use, but it does cost $38 as opposed to EAC being free.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
    Alright, now I am angry... I think I am done supporting Apple -- I mean we have (2) iPhones + (2) iTouches + an iPad. Since Apple does not support FLAC, it basically means I need to keep (2) digital versions of each track?

Curtis, is there a lossless format that is supported by Apple and also supported by the majority of media players?

Basically, I will be setting up a NAS that offers cloud support so I can stream direct from our music collection regardless of our physical location.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I'd like to use some sort of FLAC program also. I thought there were FLAC apps available for Apple devices from iTunes?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Curtis, is there a lossless format that is supported by Apple and also supported by the majority of media players?

Basically, I will be setting up a NAS that offers cloud support so I can stream direct from our music collection regardless of our physical location.
    For portable devices, I just rip things to MP3 and keep them on my PC for syncing.

For the media player hooked up to my main system, I rip to FLAC and store it on my NAS. It would be nice to stream FLAC from the cloud.

The Apple lossless format is called ALAC, and it is supported by Apple devices, iTunes, and other media players as well.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-12-2012 at 06:04 PM.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I'd like to use some sort of FLAC program also. I thought there were FLAC apps available for Apple devices from iTunes?
    Yes, there are FLAC players available for Apple Devices, but you cannot play FLAC files in iTunes or the native player on Apple devices.

The main issue on these portable devices is space, FLAC/ALAC files are much larger than MP3. Even if you have the space, it becomes a pain in the butt to sync.
    Last edited by curtis; 07-12-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    -curtis

Hi Dave,

Just to make sure you have a few to look at, I use VLC for FLAC ripping: http://www.videolan.org/

Sheep