Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my Ascends!

....."screwing into a stud".....

Hmmmm. Actually, I think that's backwards.

graphicguy,

All four of my surrounds are 170's mounted with omnimounts in drywall. I used some pretty heavy duty toggle bolts to make sure the drywall would hold up. I haven't had any problems. The speaker mounts and the drywall are holding up great.

John

True enough "not always the best position" but WORST case is 8"s off with standard 16" stud spacing. And with Ascends excellent dispersion pattern... Just an thought, I don't know the particulars of the install.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by frankd28

True enough "not always the best position" but WORST case is 8"s off with standard 16" stud spacing. And with Ascends excellent dispersion pattern... Just an thought, I don't know the particulars of the install.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I don't know about drywalls and stud spacing either. I guess if the worse it could be off is 8"...then it is definitely something to think about.

-curtis

Hi,

I am a new to this forum. I bought Ascend speakers after reading this forum for a while. I got 340c, 2 170 as main and 2 170 as surround. I am trying to set them up.

I plan to place the 340c on top of my 27" TV, but the top is not flat, any one please tell me the way to do it?

For all 4 170 speakers I'd like to use stand instead of hanging them on the wall. Please give me some suggestions on what brand of stand is good.

And also suggestions on cables. I remember someone said 12gauge cable at Homedepot is good enough. It that true?

Thanks a lot.

Welcome to the forum.

Home Depot 12 gauge is fine.

Any good stand will work fine...right around 30" I believe is the recommended height. You can try www.racksandstands.com.

How angled is the top of the TV? Will the speaker sit on it without sliding? The center channel slightly angled toward the listening position is sometimes helpful. You could also try Auralex MoPads, and something like this might help http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...c/0PSY0054.htm

good luck!

-curtis

Thanks a lot.

The angle won't be greater than 10degree I believe. If the top position doesn't fit well I will try to put the 340c in one of the lower shelf of the stand.

I did some search on speaker stands for 170surround, but it looks like there is no stand that holds 20lb at a height about 2 -3 feet above the listening position, which is suggested by ascend mannual. From threads here bracket seems to be a better solution.

graphicguy, did you use omnimount 20s to hangup you 170s? There are only 2 screws on the back of 170, but 4 screws are used by omnimount to attach speakers, and also the screw size is different. How did you attach the 170 to omnimount? Do we need to make 2 holes and screw into 170?

Thanks.

"I did some search on speaker stands for 170surround, but it looks like there is no stand that holds 20lb at a height about 2 -3 feet above the listening position, which is suggested by ascend mannual. From threads here bracket seems to be a better solution."

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...300stands.html

These are also available with the post horizontal. Is there a reason these won't work in your situation?

David

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by ilikeascend

graphicguy, did you use omnimount 20s to hangup you 170s? There are only 2 screws on the back of 170, but 4 screws are used by omnimount to attach speakers, and also the screw size is different. How did you attach the 170 to omnimount? Do we need to make 2 holes and screw into 170?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The omnimount only uses two screws into the speaker and two into the wall. I have my 170s on omnimounts. See the photo on Ascend's site: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages..._series20.html