Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got my Ascends!

My listening position is about 38inch high, but the max height of omnistand is only 40 inches. The speaker won't be <font color="blue">2 to 3 feet above listening position </font id="blue">as suggested by the mannual. The highest stand I found out on the internet is 45 inches.

To use brackets the mininum height is about 4 feet above listening position due to the room structure, and 2 feet behind listening position, <font color="blue">not directly to left and right to </font id="blue">listening position as suggested in the mannul. That's why I was thinking to use stand earlier.

Any advice on which factor is more important (blue bolded), please?

Not many of us have the perfect room for mounting the surrounds.

My surrounds are mounted about 4 feet above the listening and sound great.

-curtis

I posted in another thread about home made stands I use for surrounds. The speakers are not as big as the 170's, but the basic design could be modified to suit the 170's. Basically, the stands have a rectangular base...1" thick oak roughly 12" square...ROUGHLY. There are two uprights, approx. 3/4"x 2" oak x 60" tall, spaced far enough apart to allow the speaker terminal cup to fit between them. Connecting the tops of the uprights is a crossmember of the same size oak, cut to fit between the uprights. This top piece is set back 1/4" from the front edge of the uprights, providing the clearance needed for the hanger screw head(a suitable sized woodscrew)I screwed into the center of the leading edge of the top crossmember. This screw allows a speaker with a keyhole bracket on it's back to hang from the front of the supports. There are two additional cross members...a second one just below the speaker terminal cup but hidden by the speaker, and a third one about mid-way up the uprights for additional support. A very simple, yet effective design. The height can be tailored to suit your needs. In my case, a friend who builds kitchen cabinets was kind enough to build them for me. I just applied some tongue oil and was done!

Ed

Thanks for the quick replies. You guys are really nice to newbies.