Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra-1 owner..

Default New Sierra-1 owner..

I spent DAYS looking for the perfect speakers... for the right price of course.. and the memorial day weekend sale was the PERFECT opportunity to jump. I am so excited to get these speakers... I got a left and right and center sierra-1s.. I went from starting at the 170s... straight to the sierra-1s. I was going to skip the sub, but then the klipsch rw-12d was on sale for 299... I wish i could have gone with the direct servo... but i didn't have the funds...

I did not get any rear speakers... so maybe next year...

Anything you guys recommend i hear on these things first? I got a denon 2312 for a receiver.. sony 590 bluray player.. and a small pc for HULU and movie playback..

Default Re: New Sierra-1 owner..

I would say listen to your favorite and most-familiar music - you will likely hear things you've never heard before. What speakers are you coming from?

i am coming from a yamaha sound bar.... this is quite a HUGE step.. i have never had high quality speakers.

Well, great minds DO think alike! I'd be coming from a Yamaha HTIB.

Reading through these forums, a lot of people come to Sierra-1's from pretty well-respected speaker systems, such as Energy RC's - and some have even comparatively listened to Sierra-1's vs. $1800/pr speakers.

The Audyssey MultEQ XT is very nice on the Denon 2312, and the receiver should give you many years of enjoyment.

I'm thinking of putting together beginner's snapshot of modern sound system options, and would be very interested in your impressions of going from a sound bar to a quality bookshelf system. Would you like to share them with us when you have time?

i would love too. I will also give my wife's opinion also.. she is still skeptical...

the reviews on the sierra-1's are amazing.. once i read them, i was sold..

today was bitter sweet....

i got the L and R channel but not the center.... UPS forgot to deliver it because i had a bluray sent at the same time. They thought it was 3 packages, and it should have been 4.

so NOW i have to setup a 2.1 setup tonight and install my center channel tomorrow night... life is rough...

Quote Originally Posted by jonstahura View Post
    i would love too. I will also give my wife's opinion also.. she is still skeptical...

the reviews on the sierra-1's are amazing.. once i read them, i was sold..
    Even better - that would give a more comprehensive perspective b/c in reality, it's not just us enthusiasts who will be using our sound systems.

Sorry that the shipping got borked today, but the bitterness of today just reserves a measure of sweetness for tomorrow.

In the interim, the Sierra-1's good imaging should be able to provide a very convincing phantom center. After you get the 3.1 setup dialed in, would it be possible to re-use the soundbar for a rear/surround experiment?

so i hooked everything up... i didn't have the center channel up.. that should be here today..

I really enjoyed it.. the craziness of the receiver is still a little overwhelming.. the fear of not having it setup right and all the options is pretty crazy... i wish there was a ... oh you have this model and these speakers u should do "this" ...

I played some tv / bluray(transformers) / internet music / itunes from HTPC...

i really loved that it tickled my ears.. it wasn't destructive to listen too.. my cousin has some ceiling speakers and they end up hurting to listen too..

My wife is skeptical... is it really all worth 2k? ... lol she was also not happy i didn't get the dark finish on the speakers ...

over all at this time.. i am so excited still.. i can't wait to put the center channel in and run through the setup again... woooooo!

Did you run your receivers MultEQ XT? I'm curious in your room how it set things up and your listening distance, crossover chosen, ect. Your receiver has an 8 point measurement capacity and the XT has awesome resolution. With any new speaker it may be necessary to continue re-running the room correction as you break your Sierra 1's in. If it were me I would set them to "Small" but with a lower crossover first and work my way upwards to find your rooms boundary effect then lower to blend for smoothness. I would rent on blue ray the newest Transformers which uses Dolby TrueHD and to me (the home theater fanatic) is what I use to demo the systems ability. For music buy Chesky's Ultimate Demo Disc and enjoy the fine engineering put into these great loudspeakers. Just my opinion and i'm super excited for you! The wife factor is and will always be an issue for us that are married but give her some time and you will eventually walk in the living room and see her sitting in the sweet spot watching her desperate houswives

Brian in Bakersfield...

Smile Re: New Sierra-1 owner..

Quote Originally Posted by jonstahura View Post
    1. the craziness of the receiver is still a little overwhelming.. the fear of not having it setup right and all the options is pretty crazy... i wish there was a ... oh you have this model and these speakers u should do "this" ...

2. i really loved that it tickled my ears.. it wasn't destructive to listen too.. my cousin has some ceiling speakers and they end up hurting to listen too..

3. lol she was also not happy i didn't get the dark finish on the speakers ...

4. over all at this time.. i am so excited still... woooooo!
    1. Setting up a modern receiver is like entering a forest for the 1st time: it takes a few days to get your bearings, weeks to build a detailed enough map in your head so you can get to where you want efficiently - and even months later, you're still discovering new little wonders you never noticed before.

Great Denon receiver guide with set-up & speaker info at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1334369

2. That's in line with user reports of Sierra-1's being detailed, yet not fatiguing even during 8-hour listening sessions.

3. "Does this mean I can get the Dark Cherry/Espresso for $100 more? Oh, honey, I knew you'd understand!"

4. Music is inherently a wonderful thing, so what's $1000-$2000 to bring some happiness to your life? Listen and be happy.