Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just placed my order!!!

Yeah Curtis, there seems to be quite a few of us "Ascenders" in the southeastern U.S. Maybe college football isn't our only hobby down here!

Quick question. What kind of speaker wire (brand & guage) do you guys use? Would generic Home Depot 12 guage do? How about banana plugs? I just want to be ready for the arrival Monday. Thanks, guys.

The Home Depot stuff will be fine. Banana plugs are not necessary....just convenience.

-curtis

I used Parts Express www.partsexpress.com cables and interconnects on my system. I've heard that the Home Depot cable is also good. I agree with Curtis on the banana plugs, if you do a lot of connecting and disconnecting of components they are handy. However, for most people who just set up their HT and enjoy it they aren't needed.

I recommend bananas for the receiver end. The posts on receivers can be pain to get wire into when they are out in the open, let alone if you're fiddling with it in a rack. The posts on the Ascends are nice and speakers are usually out where you can easily get to the backs, so it isn't as important on that end. IMHO

To elaborate on BradJudy's post, I like the idea of spade connectors for the speakers, as they allow you to get a sleeker, less bulbous (for lack of a better description), attachment at the back of the speaker. Bananna plugs are more convenient though if you think you'll be doing a lot of plugging/unplugging for things like speaker comparisons and such.

So, unless that's the case, I'd go spade for speaker and bananna for receiver.

i believe ascend has speaker cable as well?

i bet you're pacing around the house/work in anticipation eddie.

the synergy of this system is spectacular. it's right on the money.

They're here!!! I'll post back later, as I'm about to leave for work, but all I can say for now is WOW!!! They're keepers. Got everything set up last night, and was amazed at the sound. Never knew what I was missing until yesterday.

GREAT...Wait till you break them in for a while. I liked mine right out of the box but now that I've had them for a short while they sound even better. Have fun.

Movies are better at home.

Steve

Here'e how it went down. Honey called me at work yesterday at around 12:30 to tell me that everything had arrived. I work for the local natural gas company as a meter reader, so needless to say, I was setting the leaves on fire to make sure my route got finished. Got home and saw 5 large boxes on the floor. I was not prepared for how big everything was. You see measurements on paper, but it just didn't register until I saw everything first hand. Took my time unpacking. All packages arrived with zero damage, so a big thanks to UPS and Ascend for the double boxing. Had to make a Wally World run to buy some things for a McGuyver (not sure about the spelling) center channel stand. The back of my Sony RPTV slopes off quite a bit after a 3" top ledge. A few cheap rubber door stoppers, some 1" round stick-on rubber pads, and some black electrical tape, and I was in bidness. Got the center set up, placed the mains on the stands, placed the rears on their get-by-for-now stands, placed the positively massive VTF3-MkII, spent what seemed like forever attaching banana plugs to the speaker wire, and fired everything up. Ran the YPAO auto set-up from my Yamaha HTR-5790, tweaked a little, and stuck in Black Hawk Down. I don't really have the words to describe what the sound was like, except to say that for years I didn't realize what I had been missing. Excellent sound stage, not too bright, not too laid back. Just perfect with some phenomenal bass from the HSU. Still have to hide some wires, get some good stands for the rears, and calibrate with AVIA and my spl meter. But I gotta say thumbs up to Ascend and HSU. They're all keepers. Curtis, add my name to the demo list cause' these things aren't going back!!