Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Just placed my order!!!

Hey Eddie....hope the system brings you much enjoyment!

Remember to post your thoughts.

-curtis

Eddie...Congrats, you just made it through the hard part. The rest is anticipation then fun. By the way my HT cost me two weeks in Mexico. I have to take my wife 4 kids and the daughter's boyfriend. I know you will enjoy your system. Please update us when you get wired.
    Steve

Movies are better at home.

Steve

Will do, guys. By the way, is there anything I need to know regarding any quirks the Ascends have with setup? Meaning, do they need to have toe-in, does the center need to be angled down, etc?

eddie, you need to run to wal-mart and pick up the following items becase you're going to be spending a lot of time in the family room;

cokes, chips, salsa, ice cream, and of course - popcorn. also, make sure you have an accpetable amount of magnetic pizza flyers on your refrigerator. in other words, the ascends have this weird ability to keep you at home. get ready to enjoy the sound.

Eddie,
    And remember to budget much more $$$ for CDs and DVDs! It's a "hidden cost" of the Ascends.
    Pegleg

funny posts...

Eddie...no quirks. As for placement, every room is different, and there speaker manual comes with some good placement instructions. Play around and see what works best for you.

-curtis

Thanks, guys. I'll play around with speaker placement and see what works. I can hear it now from the wife, "All you do is play those weird test tones...can't we watch a movie?...what's an SPL meter thingy?...my car is now 2,000 miles overdue for an oil change...etc." Thanks also for the "hidden cost" info.......now they tell me. I'll post back from time to time as progress is being made.

By the way, Aaron, I see you've got the same setup as I will have. Just to keep me looking out the window for the FedEx guy, what have you owned or listened to in the past, and how do the Ascends compare? Man, I can't wait till next Tuesday.

a southern howdy to eddie

to make a long story short i have tried paradigm monitor series, rockets (didn't like them), axioms (didn't like the center channel), rockets again (still didn't like them), paradigm studios, and finally ascends.

i have found that ascend fits the best piece of the puzzle for my needs and preferences. all too often have i listened to other speaker systems and been disappointed with how the mains and center channel do not synergize. (this was the axiom and rocket system's downfall for me) the basic rule of thumb is to match your center channel to your mains. well, that's quite easy with ascend.

plus, i feel that the 340's m-t-m design has outperformed the m-tm-m design due to the fact that my center channel is not directly 'on axis' with my ear level. some strongly disagree with me on that theory and have told me that i'm terribly wrong. to each his/her own.

THE OTHER BRANDS (these are basic descriptions and in no particular order of ranking or time of ownership)
    the axioms delivered a lot of listener fatigue during the NCAA playoffs and this was NOT GOOD as i was cheering UCONN on. (i got 5th place in our tournament pool actually - out of 85 people) anyways, that was the deciding factor for the dismissal of the axiom system. i found that listener fatigue is a terrible experience.

the rockets were just too laid back for me. it was difficult to make out dialogue without adjusting the gain during movies. then, the midbass would drown you out during more dynamic scenes. i didn't like their unbalanced sound. i was also not completely satisfied with the veneers.

paradigm monitor series? well, they were great for the prices i paid. i had problems with 1 x/o, a tweeter on the center, and a driver on a mini monitor. it made me question their renowned QC. these were the first speakers i owned (for 1 year) and i wanted more performance than they offered.

paradigm v.3 reference/studio series. the studio 20s are very nice speakers. the cc570 is also a nice center. the only odd thing i could notice w/ the studios is that the sounds seem to be connected to the each other whereas the ascends had more separation of instruments and vocals. i prefered the separation. i also had to take points off of the studios for not having video shielding as a standard.

my two favorite systems were the Ascends and the Paradigm Studios. I picked up the Ascends and the HSU VTF-3 MK2.

oh, do you get to go with your wife to Hawaii??? hehehe

MetalAaron- Go to this link and scroll down to David's explaination of the 340Cc design and M-T-M and other styles of CCs.. http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=228

Smokey or Curtis- Am I doing something wrong that I can't link straight to a post w/i a thread?