Thread: 340-C placed vertically?

Hi Bighitter,

If you are asking me which orientation is better for center channel placement (vertical or horizontal), there are several factors that need to be considered:

1. For vertical orientation, what would the height of the center be from the ground to the bottom of the speaker?

2. For vertical orientation, would the speaker be to the left or right of the RPTV, or, if you are planning on using a front projector, would the center be in the middle behind the acoustic screen?

Generally speaking, I recommend horizontal orientation using the CMT-340c (center version). However, in a front projector situation using a perforated acoustic screen, a vertically oriented CMT-340 main located behind the screen (centered) between 20-30" off the ground would be ideal. This placement is not subject to the extended baffle effects of placing a speaker on top of a TV yet it will also mantain center focus.

Hope this helps!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Looking back at this post I can see where you got confused as to what I was asking because I never really asked the question I intended to ask initially.

My main question is this:

If I get a horizonatally oriented CMT-340-C for now to work with my RPTV, when I move and have the ability to place it vertically behind a perf screen would it be possible to make the changes so it acts like the LCR version? Specifically can I rotate the tweater and possibly re-adjust the cross-over?

Hope this is a little more clear.

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Ahh.. now I fully understand.

We would be happy to make the changes for you free of charge ( to convert a CMT-340c center to a CMT-340 main )

We could also provide you details on how to do it yourself but if we do it here at the factory, we can test to make sure it is 100% correct. I recommend you let us make the changes.

Hope this is the answer you were looking for.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

David,

Thanks again for the great information, just another step closer to getting that 340 front sound stage. Luckily my fiancee actually likes the looks of the speakers better than some of the other ones I have also checked out.

I am assuming the changes needed would be mostly in the crossover with changing some surface mount pcb components from what I have seen of other crossovers. If this is the case I dont think I would have any problem as I am very handy with a soldering iron and could do that part by myself if needed. Well we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

That said now you have me questioning wether I would be better off getting all -c versions or a -c and 2 lcrs. Your response to the other person has me wondering as right now I have Infinity overtures ontop of a entertainment center for placement.

Thanks again,

Nick

Hi Nick,

It is my pleasure...

Yes, the changes that are needed are in the crossover and the orientation of the tweeter must change as well.

>That said now you have me questioning wether I would be better off getting all -c versions or a -c and 2 lcrs. Your response to the other person has me wondering as right now I have Infinity overtures ontop of a entertainment center for placement.

This depends, if you are planning on using the 340s horizontally, on top of a large baffle (like a TV or bookshelf), the 340c would be recommended. Keep in mind that for left/right mains, I still recommend using the vertical version set so that the tweeter is at ear level. This will provide the best soundstage and most accurate sound reproduction.

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com