Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad driver or bad crossover?

Default Re: Bad driver or bad crossover?

Quote Originally Posted by astrodog View Post
    Okay, I just took out the one of the woofers on the "bad" speaker and to my surprise they soldered the wires to the binding joints AND it's even burnt?! From the instructional videos on how to install the nrt tweeter, those wires should be able to disconnect but instead I found that they're soldered... I examined the other speaker and it's the same... What gives?

And also, the insulation is different from the one in the video. Instead of the white cotton looking stuff, it's a bunch of yellow, hairlike strands "sealed" in a black thread material but it doesn't look like they sealed it that well, so all the yellow, hairlike strands are covering the crossover. Forgive my ignorance because I know little about electronics but would this cause a short?
    Hi astrodog,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with your used Sierra-1 purchase. To address some of your concerns, if the lead wires are actually soldered directly to the binding posts, there has obviously been significant tampering with the speaker and this would inherently void our warranty. In addition, if those lead wires are burned, this would indicate a significant current surge through the crossover and through one or both of the drivers. There could be significant damage to all of the internal components.

If the cabinets are in good condition and since you are interested in the NrT upgrade (which would replace the crossover and tweeter), my recommendation would be to keep the speakers and ask the seller for a partial refund, provided that he did not advertise them as defective. From there, send the speakers back to us for the NrT ugprade --- more than likely, you will have to pay for a new woofer as well -- but you might possibly end up with a set of Sierra-1 NrT's for a terrific price
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Astrodog,

I looked at some of the pics you posted on that other forum... The crossover in your speaker has been modified by someone -- those aren't even the lead wires we use, which explains whey they have been soldered directly to the woofer. Please contact me privately, this is a serious issue if the seller of your speakers is trying to sell these as a "stock" pair of Sierra-1.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Just curious... how was this resolved?

Seller has agreed to give me a partial refund. I'll be sending my speakers in for repair and upgrade.

That will give you a new warranty as well, right?

I hope you got a good deal on the speakers seeing as they have been de-flowered!

Did you open up the functioning speaker to compare internals? Were both of them modified?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Correct, I talked to David and he said that the speakers will receive a refreshed 7 year warranty.

I got a decent deal... Purchased them originally for $475 shipped. Seller gave me a partial refund of $250. Would've appreciated a little more but it's better than nothing.

For the functional speaker, I never checked. The tweeter and woofer was kind of stubborn to come out so I gave up and just set it aside.

Right now, I'm just waiting for ascend to respond back with a RMA number. I sent technical support a message on the issue.

After all is said and done, that isn't going to be just a decent deal, it will be a great deal!

At your original purchased price from the seller, it looks like he/she knew it was doctored in some way, and was trying to unload it.
    -curtis