Thread: 170's with Omni mount?

Default 170's with Omni mount?

Hello,
    I'm wanting to wall mount the 170's for side surrounds using the Omni Mounts but I'm a little concerned that the mounts only place the rear ported 170 three inches from wall boundary. Should I be concerned and or just move the 170's to back surround and get the 200's for side surrounds with the Onmi. I have 340's LCR. I would appreciate any thoughts here.
    Thank you, Jeff

Default Re: 170's with Omni mount?

Hi Jeff!

Since you have the 170s already, I would suggest you keep them as your side surrounds. Try them with the OmniMount hardware and see how it sounds. Regarding the port issue, 3 inches from wall boundary should be just enough for the 170s to breathe without drawing attention to themselves.

If you're still concerned about proximity to the wall boundaries, then I'd recommend you apply an 80 Hz crossover to the surround channels. It will minimize the issue associated with wall-mounting a ported enclosure.

However, if those two options are not satisfactory and you're not comfortable running the 170s that close to a wall, then the 200s will solve that requirement.
    -Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Hi Jeff!

Since you have the 170s already, I would suggest you keep them as your side surrounds. Try them with the OmniMount hardware and see how it sounds. Regarding the port issue, 3 inches from wall boundary should be just enough for the 170s to breathe without drawing attention to themselves.

If you're still concerned about proximity to the wall boundaries, then I'd recommend you apply an 80 Hz crossover to the surround channels. It will minimize the issue associated with wall-mounting a ported enclosure.

However, if those two options are not satisfactory and you're not comfortable running the 170s that close to a wall, then the 200s will solve that requirement.
    Thanks Jacob, I would like to use the 170's with the mount, I will try to configure the mount so it is a little farther with proximity to the side wall giving the port about 6-7" of clearance and use the 200's as stand mounted back channels
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff52 View Post
    Thanks Jacob, I would like to use the 170's with the mount, I will try to configure the mount so it is a little farther with proximity to the side wall giving the port about 6-7" of clearance and use the 200's as stand mounted back channels
    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

6-7" clearance for our 170's is more than enough. I generally recommend 3" and if you are running the speakers as small, it is not even a concern as there would be very minor air-flow through the rear port...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Smile Re: 170's with Omni mount?

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Jeff,

6-7" clearance for our 170's is more than enough. I generally recommend 3" and if you are running the speakers as small, it is not even a concern as there would be very minor air-flow through the rear port...
    Thanks Dave for chiming in, the 170's right now as side surrounds sound excellent and much bigger than they should with about a foot from side walls but I would like to get the Omni's and raise the 170's to about six feet height with a slight tilt towards seated position, and if you say three inches of port clearance running as small is OK then that's good enough for me. Dave I would like to add back surrounds, my room is nice sized 14' X 25', I have the 340's LCR, 170's sides, should I get another pair of 170's or do you think the 200's would be OK? For the price difference I'm leaning towards the 170's. Thanks Dave, it's been awhile since we last talked, take care my friend.
    PS..I could just get the ST's and move the rest of the setup back to side and rear surrounds......
    Jeff