Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Wisconsin GTG discussion

Default Re: Wisconsin GTG discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Ray View Post
    There's also a Judge Reinhold scene where he's an inept hi fi salesman, can't quite remember the movie yet. Dave, you must know all these scenes by heart, yes? (Sorry to be off topic--feel free to move this)
    And that would we one of the alltime greats, "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"

Judge played "Brad" in that movie --- ahh, the memories of Phoebe Cates coming out of the pool....
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Agreed FT at RH is an alltime great--especially considering I'm 46 now and was in hs when it was out. I can still remember a dozen or so quotes. Not to mention the infamous Phoebe scene w Brad in the bathroom (Jesus, doesnkt anybody knock?!). And Sean Penn + Forrest Whittaker to boot.
    However, Brad worked at a fast food burger joint--I think the speaker salesman character was another movie. I'm seein Danny DeVito in it too.

Just chiming in, but from what I've seen, an informal GTG under less than ideal conditions (with exceptional equipment no less) is really only intended to showcase how unrealistically poor something 'great', can sound.

Loudly blaring a mediocre quality source under those conditions only emphasizes that, possibly even causing damage as a result, sadly. It's really only to make something sound as bad as possible, by the sounds of it. The more unnoticeable a piece of equipment is under those conditions is, the better off it is, IMO.

Ironically, subjecting something in this way doesn't seem all that much different from using much cheaper gear for the same purposes. You'd get nearly the same result.
    Sierra 2 Front LR PA-1 DC-1
    Sierra Luna Surround LR Multichannel via UMC-1 Stereo amp via VSX-D912 AVR
    DC-1 Ext 2 Ch DAC LR XLR to Mono Amps LR RCA to UMC-1 Opt
    T2531 31 Band Stereo Graphic EQ XLR RCA
    PA-1 LR XLR Mono Block 140Watt @ 8 Ohms Class D Amps
    UMC-1 Line Stage Sub X-over @ 40Hz
    L12 12" Subwoofer RCA
    P3 Power Plant A/C Regenerator - Can dramatically improve sound quality realism after 350 hours or 2 weeks of cumulative burn in
    40" HDR 4K TV Opt
    Windows 11 Gaming HTPC HDMI
    D2R

Agreed FT at RH is an alltime great--especially considering I'm 46 now and was in hs when it was out. I can still remember a dozen or so quotes. Not to mention the infamous Phoebe scene w Brad in the bathroom (Jesus, doesnkt anybody knock?!). And Sean Penn + Forrest Whittaker to boot.
    However, Brad worked at a fast food burger joint--I think the speaker salesman character was another movie. I'm seein Danny DeVito in it too.
    you are right, Brad worked at "All American Burger" -- it was someone else who dated Brad's sister (Jennier Jason Leigh) who was a lot older... I think I am going Netflix it tonight
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

This, from "Ruthless People". Still searching for Cheadle's scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CvEO3Riy0

This, from "Ruthless People". Still searching for Cheadle's scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CvEO3Riy0
    Hilarious! Dave, I think you now have a new marketing slogan for Ascend: "30 inches of thigh slappin, blood pumpin, nuclear brain damage".

When I had my Genesis 6.1 speakers, my friends teased me by calling them the Dominators.

I sold all of that big stuff, and now am in smug bliss with my Sierra-1 system.

Talking Re: Wisconsin GTG discussion

LOL....

Country Western has never passed through my cables.

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Now from 2013, did you ever choose? I', also thinking about the RAAL Towers and the Philharmonic 3s or Slims.