Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin GTG discussion

Default Wisconsin GTG discussion

Sounds like the Towers acquitted themsleves rather nicely....One of the guests(Archaea) really like the Ascends over the Phils and ST....nice to read comments like that coming from a third party member....

Only weakness on the Sierra was the Bass...I happen to think the Bass is very good on my Towers....

Default Re: The Tower Discussion Thread!

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Sounds like the Towers acquitted themsleves rather nicely....One of the guests(Archaea) really like the Ascends over the Phils and ST....nice to read comments like that coming from a third party member....

Only weakness on the Sierra was the Bass...I happen to think the Bass is very good on my Towers....
    It is interesting to see what brands are dominating the discussion and why.
    -curtis

Both Billy and Curtis echo my thoughts at this point.

I've been following that thread intensely and I'm very interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I am undeniably biased to Ascend, although I am enjoying the reviews, videos, and pictures so far. Some of those speakers I will never own because of the price. However, the opportunity to gather with like-minded folks outside of a forum is priceless; the speaker demonstrations would be icing on the proverbial cake.

I think Nuance's wife impressed me the most with her review.
    -Jacob

Holy smokes...my STC has just arrived...... Last I heard from Dave... he said it would ship out late last week...what a funster.....jk.

It's really huge.... Can't wait to hook it up...

I know, wrong thread...lol
    Last edited by billy p; 04-16-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: wrong thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ranger View Post
    Both Billy and Curtis echo my thoughts at this point.

I've been following that thread intensely and I'm very interested to hear everyone's thoughts. I am undeniably biased to Ascend, although I am enjoying the reviews, videos, and pictures so far. Some of those speakers I will never own because of the price. However, the opportunity to gather with like-minded folks outside of a forum is priceless; the speaker demonstrations would be icing on the proverbial cake.

I think Nuance's wife impressed me the most with her review.
    I loved her review! Whether I would agree with it or not had I been there, I admired how forthright she was and just said what was on her mind, simply, honestly and in plain English.

One problem I saw from reading a lot of the comments was that in too many cases people seem to equate quality with volume. A couple of the speakers were made for really loud volumes whereas others were made for more sane levels. I mean, how many people regularly listen to music that loud all the time? That gave an unfair advantage to some of the speakers.

It definitely seems like the room was not something all the speakers could handle easily, so I am wondering what the listening levels were.
    -curtis

I think they mentioned levels were set at ~80dbs...if you include peaks and the fact all the material was high res...that would be really LOUD for most...

Quote Originally Posted by monkuboy View Post
    I loved her review! Whether I would agree with it or not had I been there, I admired how forthright she was and just said what was on her mind, simply, honestly and in plain English.

One problem I saw from reading a lot of the comments was that in too many cases people seem to equate quality with volume. A couple of the speakers were made for really loud volumes whereas others were made for more sane levels. I mean, how many people regularly listen to music that loud all the time? That gave an unfair advantage to some of the speakers.
    Exactly what I was thinking, I know the video can't serve to make any or type of audio quality decisions, but in certain instances you can definitely tell when the room, volume interacts with those speakers that weren't able to handle the high gain. I believe I read that the cathedral ceilings are about 13' ft alone. I felt the same way when the Song towers video played, which I heard reputable owners say that they can do lows pretty well and quite the capable for a speaker of that size.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    It definitely seems like the room was not something all the speakers could handle easily, so I am wondering what the listening levels were.
    Agreed, like I said you can tell from some of those video. were some of those speakers just could not handle the volume, even in my modest listening area which is about 14' by 21.5 9' high ceilings and I never listen too loud but I know they can hit crazy levels if I wanted to.

Djoel
    Last edited by Djoel; 04-16-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    I think they mentioned levels were set at ~80dbs...if you include peaks and the fact all the material was high res...that would be really LOUD for most...
    That is loud, but not too loud.

When listening to the Towers at the Ascend shop, I think we were hitting at least 95dB peaks, but I don't think Dave's demo room is as big.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-16-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    -curtis

Where is the review thread that you guys are referencing?